68. empty

The sky was dark by the time we arrived back at camp

The sky was dark by the time we arrived back at camp. Everyone was standing by the front gates, watching as thousands of Grounders gathered in the field beyond the safety of our camp. They had tents set up with hundreds of torches lit. It was a celebration, they were excited for this.

My heart was in my throat as I stood amongst the rest of them, staring towards the field where they were planning on murdering my brother.

"What is that?" Raven asked, her eyes trained on a large wooden pole that the Grounders were hammering into the ground.

I lifted my eyes to look at what she was referring to. Even at the thought of my brother being out there made me feel like I was going to be sick.

Clarke let out a shaky breath, "It's for Finn. They want us to watch."

Another wave of nausea came over me. I closed my eyes for a moment as I attempted to steady myself, only opening my eyes again when Bellamy spoke, "We're going to get him."

I turned my head slightly, just as Bellamy directed his attention towards Kane, "We'll get in close and we'll hit them hard." he proposed.

Kane didn't take his gaze off of the scene in front of us as he spoke, "Son, there's thousands of them...even if we could kill hundreds, they'd still wipe out this camp, and your friend would still die."

"So we're just going to leave him?" I questioned. It was the first time I had spoken since we got back to camp. My voice was weak and wavered with my every word.

Everyone turned to look at me, looks of sympathy in their eyes. "We have to try." Bellamy argued, his eyes lingering on me longer than the others.

Raven turned towards Clarke's mother with hopeful eyes, "Abby." When Abby didn't turn to look at her, Raven repeated her name in a more urgent manner, "Abby, we have to do something."

Abby finally looked over at Raven with sad eyes, "No, Raven."

A surge of anger went through my body as I clenched my jaw, turning to the adults, "I'm not just going to stand here and let my brother die." I snapped, not giving anyone a chance before I turned and marched off towards the main gates.

"Avery!" I could hear Bellamy running after me. I hadn't made it very far when he grabbed onto my upper arm, causing me to stop.

Tears were filling my eyes as I turned to look at him. He was staring at me with a soft expression, "Avery-"

I pulled my arm from his grasp, "I'm not just going to sit back and let him die, Bellamy! I have to do something."

"We're not just going sit back and let him die." Clarke announced, joining Bellamy and I by the gates.

I shifted my teary eyes to her, "What are you talking about?" I asked, my voice cracking.

She shoved her gun into Bellamy's hand, "I'm going to talk to the Commander."