43. mountain men

"Close the door!" Nathan yelled as he all but threw me into the drop ship

"Close the door!" Nathan yelled as he all but threw me into the drop ship. I landed on all fours, instantly spinning myself around to face the large door, somehow hoping Bellamy and Finn were about to come running in.

Tears were still fresh in my eyes as Clarke grabbed a hold of the handle, pulling it down, beginning the closing of the door.

I looked around the drop ship, my eyes searching for one person, when I couldn't find her I turned to Jasper who was behind me, the remote to close the door in his hands. "Where's Octavia?" I asked, my voice thick from crying.

Jasper shook his head, "I haven't seen her since this all started."

I felt my heart drop, "Where could she have-"

Suddenly a battle cry ripped through the air and before any of us had time to react a body came flying into the ship, barely getting through the door that was basically closed.

I stared with wide eyes as Jasper grabbed my arm, pulling me further away from the figure that was already springing to their feet. It was Anya. Her eyes were filled with fury as she looked around at us. A small smirk playing on her face as the sound of Grounders attacking the drop ship from the outside filled our ears.

"Jasper," Clarke called, her voice laced with fear, "Now!'

Jasper nodded, looking down with wild eyes at the remote. Her flicked a few switches, letting out a shaky breath before flicking the switch that would send us blasting off. I swear we were all holding our breath, and when nothing happened panic began to set in.

"Jasper," I whispered, "What's going on?"

He shook his head, his face covered in confusion, "I-I don't know, I did everything right-I--"

I placed my hand overtop of his shaking one, "It's okay," I reassured, "Just keep trying."

Out of my peripheral view I could see Clarke holding her hands out to Anya in a plea not to do anything, "Anya, you can't win."

I turned away from Jasper to study Anya's face. It was like stone, showing no emotion. If she was scared I couldn't tell.

In a burst of movement she swung her swords towards the crowd of us, sending many scrambling backwards.

Before she had a chance to actually harm anyone, Miller rammed the butt of his gun into the back of her skull, sending her to the ground. The minute she was down and momentarily disarmed, kids began kicking at her, a large circle forming around her.

"Stop!" Clarke begged, her pleas falling on deaf ears.

I turned back to Jasper who was sweating furiously as he tried to solve the problem. He was mumbling something to himself.

All of a sudden he stopped mumbling and his eyes grew wide, "Avery, pass me the lantern behind you." he said as he began to fumble with the wires.

I quickly stood up, ignoring the chaos happening behind us, and grabbed the lantern, "Here." I announced as I set it down beside him.

He unscrewed the bottom before turning around to grab two wires. The sounds of the Grounders were getting increasingly louder from outside and I knew we were running out of time.

Jasper hovered the two wires over the bottom of the lantern, letting out a deep breath before plunging the wires downwards, connecting them with the lantern.

The minute he did that, the whole ship began to shake. I fell backwards, landing on my butt as the ship pushed itself off the ground. As quick as we were up, we were slamming back into the ground.

I looked over to Jasper, my mouth agape, "You did it!" I screamed, throwing my arms around him.

He wrapped his arms around me in return, "I did it." He repeated, still in shock.

As happy as I was about Clarke's plan falling into place, I couldn't help the feeling of remorse that filled my entire body at the thought of Bellamy and Finn not being here. I guess it really is true that with something bad comes something good.

---

We had stayed in the drop ship for a couple hours following the blast off to ensure everything had died down. I had spent those two hours sitting alone, trying to hold it all together.

We had tied Anya up, everyone finally agreeing that beating her to death was not the way to go about this.

When the time came to exit the ship, a couple of boys took her by either arm, leading her out to see the destruction of her army.

As the drop ship door slowly opened, and sunlight filled my vision, I couldn't help but have a sense of Déjà Vu, my mind flipping back to our first day on Earth. Bellamy, Finn and Octavia had been with me then, and it killed me that they weren't with me now.

I quickly wiped a tear that slipped from my eye as I followed the group out into camp. It smelled of rocket fuel and burnt flesh. The smell reminded me slightly of the smell that had consumed camp when our meat shack burnt down, but this, this was way worse.

I let out shaky breaths as I walked further into camp, coming to a stop beside Clarke who was staring down at two charred bodies in the spot we had last seen Bellamy and Finn. I felt my lip quiver as I looked down at them. I didn't know for sure that it was them, but there was a strong chance that it was and that hurt my heart more than I could ever explain.

Clarke grabbed a hold of my hand, giving it a tight squeeze. I looked over at her and gave her a forced smile.

It looked like she was about to say something to me but she didn't have the chance. Out of no where a tin canister spewing pink gas landed at our feet. I jumped back in surprise as more of the canisters came flying into camp.

"What the hell?" Jasper wondered, looking around at the fog that was consuming camp.

I started finding it hard to breathe. I brought my arm up to my mouth to shield my mouth but it was no use. The gas was burning my eyes as everything began to spin around me.

The last thing I heard before everything went black was Anya muttering two simple words that were simple and harmless when used on their own, but when put together, they meant something horrible that was yet to come.

"Mountain Men."

-an-

omg guys we're done season 1 dun dun dun! I know this chapter was short but I just wanted to quickly wrap up season 1. I have already started writing season 2 and am very excited for it. I can't wait to continue growing Avery as a character and especially focus of bell and avery's relationship ;)))

let me know what you thought of this chapter in the comments!

love you all,

-maddy xoxo