94. a ghost

-Bellamy-

-Bellamy-

Pike stood at the front of the large room, a sad smile on his face as Bryan sat back down after speaking for Iris, one of his friend's lost in the explosion.

My heartbeat thudded in my chest as I let out a deep breath, trying to prepare myself for what I had to do next. I never thought I would be here, speaking at a memorial for the woman I loved most. My worst fear came true when I got that radio call from Raven.

50 people died because of me. Avery died because of me.

I was supposed to protect her, but instead I left her alone, left her to die.

"Who's speaking on behalf of Avery Collins?" Pike's voice pulled me back to the room, causing my stomach to churn. The room felt like it was spinning as a let out a few deep breaths, I had to do this, I had to do this for her.

I stood slowly, willing myself not to break down as I clutched a small knife in my hands, the same one I had given Avery on our hunting trip so long ago. She had taken me by surprise that day when she announced she wanted to join. I knew then that I always wanted her in my life, that I never wanted to let her go. But now, now I had to. I had to let her go, because I had left. I left her in that mountain, told her to stay...and now she was dead.

A shaky breath left my lips as I turned to face everyone, dozens of sad eyes staring back at me. My eyes began to gloss over as I cleared my throat. I couldn't form words at first, the emotions becoming too much. But she deserved to be remembered, I owed her that. "Avery was the best person I've ever known." My voice didn't sound like my own, it was weak and it was broken "She was authentic, and she was strong and she motivated me to be the best I could be."We had been instructed to keep our words short, which was more than difficult. Truthfully, I would have been able to go on for hours about how amazing Avery is--was. As I turned to set the knife with the other belongings left for those we lost, I dropped my voice, wanting it to be for Avery only, "I love you. May we-"

I was cut short, as the sound of the door opening and someone rushing in caught my attention. I was angry at first, angry that someone had interjected what felt like the last moment I had with the woman I loved. However, as I turned slightly I felt like all the blood had left my body, my face paled as I met her eyes. The knife clattered from my hands as I stared at her for a moment, frozen in place. She was only a few feet away when my brain finally yelled at me to move. I quickly moved toward her, needing to feel her touch to know I wasn't dreaming.

All the eyes in the room followed me as I staggered towards her, careful not to lose my footing.

Relief and joy flooded my body as she crashed into me, burying her head in my chest as she always did. A collective gasp was heard around the room at the sight of her, but I didn't care. I wrapped my arms around her, holding her as tightly to my body as I could.

Avery was alive.

She was crying against my chest, her body shaking slightly with the sobs. Tears filled my eyes as well as pressed my face into the top of her head, making sure it was really her.

I pulled her away from my body, attempting to get a proper look at her face. She look exhausted, a mixture of blood and dirt was plastered to her face, but she was alive and that's all that mattered.

"You're okay." I promised, pressing my lips to her forehead before pulling her back into my body, "I've got you."

-an-

okeyyyy! short chapter and it was in the pov of bellamy which I have never done before! I just felt that their reunion would have been best if we could get a glimpse into how bellamy was feeling after he thought he lost the love of his life.

comment and vote (please!) if you are enjoying this story- voting and commenting lets me know that people actually like what i write ahaha

stay safe everyone

love you all

-maddy xoxo