16. flares

Hours later, after dozens of trips to and from the pod back to camp, night had fallen and we were finally ready to set off the flares.

I stood beside Bellamy, Clarke on my other side. A shiver ran through me as I wrapped my arms tightened around my body in an effort to shield myself from the cool evening. 

I felt Bellamy glance down at me before looking back up to the sky, "You should have worn a jacket." He commented disapprovingly.

"I'm fine." I mumbled, lowering my hands as to not give away the fact that I was cold.

He rose his brows, still looking up at the sky, "You always say that." He remarked.

"It's because it's true." I sniped back, shooting him a glare as I tried to hide the goosebumps covering my arms.

Bellamy cracked an amused smile, giving me a small nod, "Okay, Sunshine."

I rolled my eyes, tearing my attention away from Bellamy and back up to the sky where the flares were being fired. I watched in awe as they lit up the dark night sky. Raven truly was amazing. 

"Do you think they'll be able to see them from up there?" Bellamy wondered, watching on with a hardened expression. 

"I don't know," Clarke answered truthfully,  "I hope so." 

She paused for a moment, her eyes locked on the sky before she spoke again, "Can you wish on this kind of shooting star?"

I glanced over at her, Bellamy doing the same. Both of us wore inquisitive expressions prompting Clarke to dismissively shake her head. "Forget it."

Bellamy looked back up toward the sky, "I wouldn't even know what to wish for. What about you, Sunshine?" he asked, turning to me.

I shrugged, "I'd probably wish that I had been smart enough to wear a jacket." I huffed, finally admitting that I was freezing. I could hear Bellamy let out a laugh as I all but ran back into my tent in search of warmth.

---

It had to have been the middle of the night when I was awoken by the light of a torch entering my tent. I shot up in a panic, my eyes scanning the tent trying to figure out what was happening. 

When they landed on Bellamy, I felt a small jolt of panic, especially when I noted the worried expression on his features. "Bellamy, what's wrong?" I demanded, my voice thick with sleep. 

He glanced over at Octavia's empty bed, "When was the last time you saw Octavia?" he questioned, his voice laced with concern. 

"Uh, I don't..." I trailed off, realizing that it had been close to a day since I had seen her. With all the excitement surrounding Raven and the flares, I hadn't even noticed her absence...some best friend I am. 

"I haven't seen her since the pod came down." I finally answered, knowing Bellamy was not going to be happy with my answer. 

The worry on his face deepened as he turned, exiting from my tent without another word. 

"Bellamy, wait!" I called, scrambling after him. He paused, turning to face me with an expression that looked a lot like fear. 

"I've checked everywhere, Avery. I don't—" He let out a pitiful sigh as he shook his head. "I can't find her."

I nodded, trying to think over the last interaction I had with her, "Okay." I breathed, doing my best to stay calm when I realized he was incapable of doing so. "The last time I saw her was after you told us to wait until sunrise. She just sorta ran off. I don't know if she came back at all after that."