One | Waiting for Superman

"She's waiting for Superman to lift her up and take her anywhere,

Show her love and flying through the air, save her now before it's too late tonight."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The word 'no' was rarely spoken in Kitty's family. The only person who was authorised to say it, was her father. Her brother, Nathan, was never one to disappoint their father though. If their father asked either of them to do him a favour, Nathan would offer himself up first. As upcoming alpha, it was partially expected. However, rather than being bitter at her brother, Kitty was thankful. Half the time, she wanted to shy away from her father's favours. It wasn't because she was lazy or selfish, but because they weren't mundane tasks such as washing the dishes or cleaning the pack house.

Sitting at the table, in the kitchen, she blew on her hot tea. Cupping it with both hands, she let herself enjoy the warmth it was passing through to her skin. In a house as cold as hers, a hot drink was the only warmth she would ever get. Staring out the window she watched as Nathan and Jordan play-fought. She thanked her lucky stars that they weren't aiming to kill each other because she would have been the one to wash the blood stains out of the grass. Mid-punch, Jordan noticed her through the thin netting protecting the window and waved before turning his attention back to his situation. Kitty frowned at how roughly they trained. To the unknown person, it looked as if they were aiming to maim. She felt fortunate that when Jordan secretly trained her every so often he gave her time to recover, and his punches were light. Hard enough to hurt, but soft enough not to leave a mark.

"Kitty?" Her mother's voice broke her concentration. Turning her head, and keeping her body towards the table, she gave her a quick smile before placing the mug of tea down. Knowing her mother, Kitty would have been scolded if she kept her body turned away. Manners and being ladylike was what was expected of her. "Has your father talked to you about your celebratory party?"

"No." Holding in a sigh, Kitty slightly sucked her lips into her mouth. It had been just over a month ago that she had finally turned eighteen and her father was just so delighted to hold a party "just to celebrate" but Kitty knew the real motives. Her father was power-hungry and the sooner she found her mate, the sooner he could hold onto a new pack. That was, assuming her mate was an alpha. The Moon Goddess didn't discriminate on social status, just on how your soul connected to another. So far, he'd managed to take over ten packs. None had been happy with the change, but you didn't challenge her father. Not unless you wanted to face the consequences.

"It's being held in two weeks. Your father wants to know if you would like to have it indoors or outside. He's suggesting outside, by the woods. It's easier for everyone and there's no worry about shifting inside the house." Kitty nodded, and pretended to contemplate her decision but it had already been made. Her father's choice was always the right one.

"We can have it outside, Dad's right. It's a great idea." She plastered a fake grin on her face. In all honesty, she didn't want a party. She'd already celebrated her eighteenth and didn't fancy the idea of strangers congratulating her on turning eighteen. Why is it even that much of a deal? Eighteen didn't signify anything, just that in the eyes of human law she was an adult. She could buy alcohol, drive a car, buy lottery tickets and pay taxes. It wasn't like she would magically shift. She knew she never would. Her wolf hadn't appeared during puberty and that was that. All chance of having a wolf form had gone out the window, lost to the wind.

At the time, she'd sobbed and had a breakdown. It was unfair, her brother had got to shift. Why couldn't she? All her friends had shifted, why hadn't she? Her mother's shoulders had taken the tears and for the first time, her mother had comforted and soothed her, cradling her, telling her that everything would be okay. That she was still Hannah Flowers' daughter. Her father, on the other hand, gave no comfort. Instead, telling a teary fourteen year old that it was better that she hadn't shifted; that she would have been too much of an emotional wreck to even survive the change. It had been the slap in the face that Kitty needed to see her father as he was: cold and heartless.