Thirty Six | The Kill (Bury Me)

UNEDITED

"Come break me down,

Bury me, bury me,
I am finished with you."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Twiddling with her thumbs, she stared at the cheap mobile phone. Small, black and an old-flip up. A terrible phone, but she only needed it for phone-calls. Nothing else.

Roaring could be heard from outside. The Triad and Gabriel had announced to everyone just who Kitty was. The daughter of the terrifying Samuel Flowers. A legitimate heir to the throne. Possibly (if she accepted), their new queen.

Everything had combusted into chaos.

To say that this pack hated her father was an understatement. There was no word to describe how they had cried against the news. How they had lashed out. Even sitting in that room, with the door barricaded by chairs, Kitty was still shaking. Her body trembled, no matter how hard she fought.

"He'll call," Eden lay her head on Kitty's shoulders.

"Will he though?" Clara asked, resting by the window. She'd offered to be a 'watchdog' of sorts. Make sure that nobody tried anything – or to warn if anyone seemed restless. However, Clara's friends – the ones Kitty had met – were not with the majority. They were trying to calm people, failing as they went round.

"Yeah," Kitty felt the pressure on her shoulder leave. She looked over to her best friend, "Nathan's a good brother. He'll go the distance for Kits."

"You think?" Kitty asked, her voice low. Her eyelids burned. It had felt like days since she slept.

"I know," Eden nodded. There wasn't a falter in her words, not even in the slightest.

"How can you tell?" Clara asked. By the taken-aback look on her face, she must have known it was the wrong thing to say. Holding up her hands as if she was surrendering, she added: "I'm just asking. I'm curious."

"They're close," Was all Eden said, "I mean, they've not been as close recently but... Nathan will always help Kitty. I mean, Kits, you remember how he helped you with Jess, right?" Kitty nodded, chewing on her lip, "So you have nothing to worry about."

At least I know he's alive, but she also knew that something was wrong. He had called her by a false name, claiming that he was in the middle of something and needed to call her back. That was the first sign. The second was the distant arguments she could hear in the background. And the third was the two hour long radio silence. Kitty was on edge. She had to force her thrumming fingers not to check the mobile every two seconds.

They had congregated in Gabriel's office. He'd given her a day for the information to sink in, before he let the pack know. A day wasn't long enough – and she only hoped that when she finally had enough courage to leave her haven, that no-one would hound her. What answers could she provide them? She herself had questions – ones that the Triad couldn't answer.

Suddenly, the phone made a shrill noise and vibrated loudly. Swiping the phone, Kitty opened it and placed it to her ear without hesitation.

"Nathan?" Her voice trembled, and was too quiet. Kitty was aware of how pathetic she sounded, but she didn't care.

"Jesus, Kitty, where are you?" Wherever Nathan was, he was alone. She couldn't hear anything – not even the wind whistling. "Everyone's freaking out, and no-one knows what's happening. Dad's been locked in his office the past week, and Caleb has taken over Marx's position."