Prologue

(If you do want to listen to the song while reading, I'd skip until you get to about a minute in?? I like the song anyway but thought since all the other chapters have a song attached, why not the prologue too?)

Darting around the greying wolf, she snapped at his body as much as she could. The wolf in front of her was much bigger, broader and more experienced than her. She had only had mere days to practice, yet every lunge she made, every bite she took felt completely natural. She thanked the Moon Goddess for guiding her, as without the help she would have been lying on the floor, birds and wild dogs digging into her body as a source of food.

As the grey wolf pounced she dug her front half into the ground, narrowly avoiding being barrelled into. The battle was vicious; she could hear snarling, growling, yelps and threatening roars all around her. It did nothing to comfort her as she faced the alpha. She had been told only she could do this. Only she would be able to. Aside from the fact it had been prophesised, she knew it was her who had to this. He was her life to take.

The two wolves circled each other, sizing each other up, and ignoring any whimpers from fellow pack members for help. Both were waiting for the other to make a move. The sand coloured wolf was limping slightly, she had embraced more wounds than her opponent but she wasn't going to give up. This was it: life or death. Whoever came out of this battle would be reigning champion, and she was determined it was her.

Her ice-blue eyes stared down the grey wolf, eyeing him up and seeing if she could sneak in for the kill. Within seconds, she determined that she would have to wait for him to come to her; her small lean body would most likely snap if she went straight for him. Grey was more experienced in the art of war, and this was her first dabble at it. Training was a vast contrast to being slap bang in the middle of a war.

Enticing Grey, she fake lunged and he barrelled towards her, with intent to kill. Twisting her body, she thought she had managed to avoid him however a sharp yelp left her mouth as she felt her hind legs absorb the attack. Milliseconds later, she felt Grey pounce on her back and she thrashed, pushing against his body. His teeth sunk into her back, and warmth pooled out of the wound but she ignored it, keeping herself moving to avoid her neck being trapped. Somehow, she squeezed out from beneath him and snapped at his neck. In the close quarters that they found themselves in, she had managed to wound him with her small mouth, each nip entering sensitive skin. However, Grey took advantage and began viciously biting her, beginning the end of their fight.

With both desperately trying to gain advantage, Grey resolved to some cheating tactics, trying to growl to his pack while Sand's flesh was being dug into and torn away. She whimpered and yelped but carried on trying to get out of defensive, and on the offence. Through her agile moves, she managed to gain the upperhand, putting her front legs on Grey's neck as she made him hold her body weight to force him to the ground. When he lay beneath her, she went in for the kill without a second thought, the animal instinct in her screaming at her to prove her worth. Biting into a large clump of Grey's neck, she thrashed her head wildly from side-to-side, and finished when her teeth had ripped through his flesh, tearing the skin and leaving the muscles in his neck visible.

She backed away, realising she had won the fight. But her heart ached, and she wasn't proud of herself. As she stared at the limp and lifeless wolf in front of her, she faintly felt her bones snap and crack painfully as she shifted back into her human form. Shivering, she let the cold wind breeze past her, ignoring the goosebumps that were starting to crop up all over her body. She felt light-headed and dizzy, her body stinging from where she had been attacked. The metallic taste in her mouth wasn't unpleasant but she spat it out, knowing that it was a mix of hers, and her opponents. She collapsed to the floor, her eyes focusing on the grey matted fur.

It could have been hours later when the battle ended, she'd no idea. Her body had been frozen to the spot, numb to the cold and drizzly weather. Her mind had not even taken in the fact that other wolves had still been fighting each other. Her own matted hair clung to her face, her eyes wide and full of tears. It wasn't until she felt something being thrown over her shoulders, warmth slowly returning, that she let the liquid spill freely down her cheeks. Pulling the fabric around her body, she used it as a shield against everything surrounding her.

Soft lips kissed her cheeks, and she felt herself being pulled into a hard body. As she inhaled she smelled the faint smell of earth making her tense body slowly relax. The coppery smell that accompanied it kept her body rigid. Tingles travelled around her back and on her hand where she was being held.

"You did good." A deep, velvety voice soothed her. She didn't reply, her eyes gazing blankly in front of her. She felt arms being slid underneath her knees, her back supported and she was lifted. Feeling herself being taken away from the battlefield, she allowed herself to silently break down in her carrier's arms. But the further they went from the gore filled scene, the more she let her body feel relief. She was finally free from those who had restrained her. Her life was now her own.

♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠ ♠

Thoughts, please? I'm so excited to start this story, and unlike 'Living the Life of Riley' I actually have this half-planned so hopefully I won't be taking super-long breaks. This won't be updated though until I have finished my other werewolf story but there's only a couple of chapters left but please enjoy this so far!

All comments would be appreciated, especially concerning the fighting - I'm not very good at describing wolves fighting and actually had to watch a YouTube video while writing it. Votes would also be lovely! Please don't be silent readers; I love seeing comments and what you guys think - it's important for me to know how you all feel :D