Thirty Three | Through It All

"We've been burned by the flames,

But we will rise from the ashes again."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Her time was almost up. Still, she hadn't told Gabriel anything or given Micah an answer. Truthfully, she hadn't had the time. Some things came before pack problems. Especially when it concerned her best friend. Her best friend, who was in pieces.

Watching Eden spar made her re-think how she'd dealt with the news of being drugged for the past few years. Of course, she'd worn herself out within a few hours. Eden? It had been two days since she'd staggered into the pack house, eyes rimmed red. Her beautiful hair had resembled an old bird's nest and she had just mumbled incoherently. It was only when Kitty had gotten her to Clara's bedroom had the dam broken.

Everything was chaos.

"Is she going to be okay?" Clara asked, sitting on the makeshift bench with Kitty. Stretching out her legs, Kitty shrugged.

"I don't know." It was a tricky time for both of them. "I think she's worried about her dad more than anything." Paddy hadn't left the Flowers pack.

"He wouldn't come, Kits," Tears continually streamed down Eden's pale cheeks. For the first time, she wasn't raving, she wasn't screaming in anger. Her father's decision to stay had devastated her. "After... after I spoke to Reggie, I told him. I was packing my bags. I told him to come with. That we weren't safe." She shuddered.

Kitty had no idea how to comfort her best friend. Usually, it was the other way round. Or Eden was coming up with a million crazy schemes. She wouldn't be sat on the floor, practically choking on the sobs leaving her throat.

"Ede..."

"Do you know what he said?" Eden turned to Kitty. She wiped her nose with her bare arm. Used her muddied fingertips to wipe away the tears. Dirt trailed across her eyes like a comet's tail. Almost like make-shift eyeshadow. "That his loyalty lies with his alpha! His alpha! After what Alpha Samuel did to you..." Eden shook.

All Kitty could do was helplessly wrap an arm around her friend and let her cry it out.

"He's shown his loyalty. Won't that be enough?" Clara asked.

Once again, all Kitty could do was shrug, "I don't know. Apparently it's chaos." Even though she was sure her father had taken her sudden departure as a rejection of the pack, she still worried about her pack mates. No-one else needed to get hurt because of her. "And I don't know what my Dad's gonna do."

Clara rose an eyebrow. She expected more information that Kitty couldn't provide. Not without giving up sensitive information. If anyone was to know about that, it would be Gabriel. Out of pure respect, she had to wait. Which also meant she'd inadvertently made up her mind. She was going entrust her most treasured secret to an alpha who disliked her greatly.

"Things have..." she found it difficult to describe her situation so vaguely. It was so complicated, and she'd gotten herself tangled up in a web she didn't know how to free herself from, "everything is a mess."

Loud crackling filled the large field. Kitty's head whipped round. Eden was shifting.

Eden was shifting.

She'd lost control.

A half-human, half-wolf howl let loose from her throat. This wasn't good. Kitty thought her anger had simmered. Never had it gotten to the point where she was shifting. Eden's bones were visibly piercing through skin, shifting. She hadn't even had time to strip clothing. Without thinking, she did the one thing she'd always been told not to do.