Four | Supernatural

"Every step I've taken has led me here to where you are,

But all that I believe in is keeping me from seeing too far."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gabriel sat behind his desk, waiting for his beta, Micah, to return with news of Samuel's pack members. He was hoping that there'd been no problems but knowing what Samuel's pack was like, his almost non-existent optimism had disappeared. However, no-one had radioed in yet. A good sign.

His wolf was crying out for the girl, Kitty, but Gabriel's feelings towards her father were restraining him. He could feel his wolf's anger at him for keeping him away from his mate. It didn't move his decision. He was certain that she was as cold-hearted as Samuel - who wouldn't be after living under his roof for so many years? Living as his daughter.

"Gabriel." Micah walked in, looking tired. Gabriel shared his pain. He hadn't slept properly since he'd tasted his mate and groaned when he thought about her. She was irresistible, but he had to restrain himself. It had been hard, when that Reggie had pushed her over. His wolf had been forcing him to make sure she was okay, and for a moment, his wolf had taken control. He'd even growled at Micah, for touching her.

"Are they off my territory?" It had been a surprise, when he saw Kitty and her friend. He wondered how they'd managed to get onto his land, undetected. Apparently they'd been spotted coming into the town. That was a whole forest where his patrol men should have sniffed them out. He put it down to the mud caking their clothes.

"Don't be like that, man." He stared at his best friend, and beta, wondering why on earth he liked Kitty so much. A flare of jealousy rushed through him, but he forced it down. He didn't need to be concerned with that she-wolf any longer. He'd have to go to the party and that was it.

"Are you ordering your alpha?" He snapped, his temper starting to get the best of him.

"No but come on. You can't ignore your feelings forever." Gabriel didn't answer Micah, instead turning his attention to his computer screen. "Gabe, she's a nice girl. She's nothing like her father."

"Why do you say that?" He asked, while typing an e-mail to his brother, who was asking about whether it was a good idea to travel to other packs to find his mate.

"She came here because she was frightened for our pack."

"Really."

"She snuck out here!" He heard his friend get angrier at him, but he didn't care. The girl wouldn't be his. His heart ached at the thought but it was best for the pack. They'd already been through Hell because of her family once. Gabriel wouldn't force it on them again. "She crawled through mud to get here. Even her father didn't know! Did you miss that part of the conversation? Where her friend lied to their own scouts?"

"It's probably just Samuel's plan. You know how much he'd love this piece of land." It was true. In comparison to Samuel's territory, theirs was thrice the size. His pack was big, but still smaller than Samuel's. Sharing a border was difficult, and tense, but Gabriel made sure his men and women were well trained in case of an attack. They wouldn't be taken blind. If they had to, they'd go down fighting.

"You-my-ugh!" He heard Micah exclaim before the chair cushions whooshed from him slumping down in them. Gabriel turned his head and raised an eyebrow. "What? I like her."

"You like everyone." He pointed out. It was true. He'd never seen Micah dislike anyone. Gabriel would never admit it, but Micah was normally a good judge of people.

"I didn't like that Caleb guy."

Neither did I. Gabriel thought, agreeing with his beta. There was an air of danger around him, and the scars on his face didn't make Gabriel feel better. Adding on the fear that his mate and her friend showed... a frown appeared on his face without him realising. The girl hadn't done anything bad to him, and his worry for her grew. Damn you, Micah, making me feel things I don't want to.