Thirty Seven | End of the Beginning

"Can you feel it?

Things are changing."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

UNEDITED

"Kitty, are you even listening?" Gabriel asked. He looked like he hadn't slept in days. He probably hasn't, Kitty thought. There was hint of bags under his eyes, and stubble coated the bottom of his chin. Every so often, he'd rub a hand against it and grimace.

"Yeah, sorry," she gave a small smile. It was one to try and clear the tension. Nobody had slept. Not since they had received the message from her father a few days ago. Somehow, he'd found out where she'd been hiding. Not that she was well hidden.

Her father hadn't just sent anyone. Somehow the rogues she'd been ambushed in the woods where she first met Gabriel, were now on her father's side. Suspicion had risen up at the sight of him, but she hadn't voiced it.

"Ya got a week to return the girl," a monotone voice spoke. Kitty shuddered. More scars had spawned, more skin ripped. He looked even more disgusting than when she had first encountered him two months before. The smell expelling from him was even worse – maybe because her senses had improved greatly. Either way, it was like standing next to a bin that hadn't been emptied for weeks; she had to fight the urge to gag.

"Or?" Gabriel didn't seem phased by the rogue, nor his brother. They both let out low chuckles that rattled Kitty's bones. These weren't wolves to mess around with, to taunt. She knew how much they wanted her blood; could see it in their eyes. Cold eyes stared at her, hungrily drinking her in. Unlike the girl they first met in the forest, she didn't cower away. She didn't straighten her back though, and avoided eye contact, but she knew she wasn't alone. Not this time – she, at least, had Eden and Micah.

"Or we'll burn down your pack. I wonder what baby wolves smell like as they're burning?" The second of the brother's laughed loudly, his head thrown back. Limp, greasy hair hung back. The rogue ran a dirtied hand through his hair, uncaring that he was pulling strands out as he viciously forced his hand through. "You know, I've always wanted to fuck a girl while forcing her to watch her friends being burned alive," the scarred corners of his lips attempted to curl up, "Derrik, wouldn't you agree?"

"Oh, brother, that sounds delightful," a smile smeared across his face. Kitty couldn't help but notice smeared blood on his lips. It terrified her to think of what they had done, what they had indulged in. Rogues like Derrick and his brother were the worst – uncaring for any sort of morals or ethics. They didn't even care about territories! Just wandered wherever they felt like, raping and pillaging whatever they came across. At least those who called themselves 'Wanderers' treaded carefully, "Maybe we should give them a tease now?"

Before anyone could answer, the ground rumbled. Thunder sounded. Blurs past quickly, and three wolves snarled. Foaming at the mouth, spit flew as they roared. While they weren't as muscled as an alpha or beta were, they packed enough to look intimidating. Kitty could only guess that these were patrol guards.

Derrick and his brother didn't seem fazed by the sight. Instead, they simply smiled. Derrick laughed, yellowing teeth on show.

"She's not worth it, Alpha," the brother commented, glaring at Kitty, before turning and running off.

"See you in a week," Derrick huffed, following his brother.

Kitty's legs gave out.