Thirty Nine | Remember Everything

"I'll burn it all to the ground, before I let you in.

Please forgive me, I can't forgive you now."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nerves were slowly taking over her body. Her legs would occasionally jerk, her stomach twisted painfully. The guards probably wished they had chained her down. Unfortunately, they couldn't. Gabriel, Micah and Raphael had settled on a slightly different set-up that morning. Kitty had decided to change into her furs. Gabriel would first try and talk down her father. If that didn't happen... then Aiden's teachings would be coming into practice.

Kitty was under strict orders not to leave her position until it was absolute. She was safer back there, and Gabriel wouldn't use his leverage. Kitty agreed; she was sat in front of the pack doors, where all the fighters were waiting behind. Guards, Micah and Eden were to the side of her. There was no way she was being sneakily stolen without anyone realising. She wouldn't have put it past Caleb to try. As he had often said – what better way to win than play dirty?

There was a breeze drifting towards them. Sniffing the air, her eyes widened. A sickening, all too familiar scent stained her nostrils. A low growl reverberated from her chest, and Eden let a growl loose. If there was a scent they'd easily recognise, it was Caleb's. The ground thundered, and Kitty knew that wasn't a good sign.

Those loyal to her father were vicious. Those who Caleb were closer to? The worst.

Leaping from the trees were two half-mangled, half-starved wolves. Kitty didn't need to guess who they were. Their stench gave them away. Spit drooled from their mouth. Instead of walking together, they separated, each stalking forward metres apart. Their eyes trained on the small group as if they were meek prey to be toyed with.

Instantly, Kitty knew this wasn't going to be settled with just words.

She rose to a standing position. In the corner of her eyes, she saw Micah glance at her. But she didn't move from her position; however she couldn't just sit. Not when she knew something big was going to happen.

Before long, more wolves sprouted from the shadows of the forest. Mixed were humans. None of them passed the two rogues though. Instead, they spread themselves across the lawn. There were thirty, or forty at most.

Then Nathan stepped out.

If she'd thought Gabriel had looked tired, if she thought she'd suffered under her father's wrath... it was nothing on Nathan. Black and blue lined his face, bags under his eyes. There was a slight limp, and his head wasn't held as high as it normally would. A fire rose in her chest; what had they let happen? What was going on in her father's head? Was the taste of power making him insane?

After Nathan shuffled to the front of the crowd, her father and Caleb glided out. Both had an air of confidence around them. A smug smile sat on Caleb's face, and Kitty wished she could claw it off. Her father kept his expression tight-lidded. His eyes glanced across, seeing no back up. They met Kitty's for a second, something shining in them. A low snarl rumbled from her, and the proud shine turned into surprise.

"This is a small welcome, is it not Alpha Gabriel?" Her father stopped beside her brother. His voice boomed across the space between them. Gabriel didn't answer, but his back straightened significantly. The meeting wasn't just about giving Kitty back. It was about so much more. "Well, if you'll just let Kitty come home, this will be over quickly."