Thirty Two | All In Your Hands

"Waiting for the truth,

Could become your cancer."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

            "I'm kinda jealous," Clara spoke as clothes collided with each other, "you can rock that messy hair and hoodie look."

            Kitty stared blankly at Clara's back. What was she supposed to do, thank the girl? Clara was probably trying to make her feel better. It was kind of working. It would probably be better if Kitty's mind didn't keep flashing back to Micah's anger. Not even helping Alonzo in the kitchen distracted her completely from that.

            "Thanks." She said, her voice monotonous and dead. Another sigh left her lips. It must have been the tenth one in the past half an hour.

            "Oh, come on, Kits. Chin up?" Clara huffed as she threw some more clothes onto her bed. Kitty took a handful. They, however, were all tops.

            "Haven't you got anything to cover my legs?" Her leg had gotten even more atrocious. They weren't healing correctly – that was for sure. Instead of scarring and then fading to pale uneven shapes, clear liquid was seeping from the scars. The urge to pick the scabs was getting harder. Brandon was right; the stuff her father used was lethal.

            "I don't know how Alpha didn't rip himself apart looking at those." Kitty didn't even slightly part open her lips to deny any accusations that were about to explode out of Clara's mouth. "If I saw my mate with wounds like that, I'd be on the warpath."

            "Clara..." Kitty was too tired to even entertain the thought of arguing her secret.

            "I get it, I get it." Her hands flew into the air, and then she dove into her cupboard. Grey cotton smacked her in the face. Silently, she slipped on the loose jogging bottoms. "It's seductive, it's forbidden." Her eyebrows waggled.

            "You're seeing things that aren't there."

            "Am I?"

            "Yes," Kitty nodded. "Instead of focusing on who I'm not mated with, why don't we focus on the fact my legs aren't healing? Or that I need some training?"

            "It does look kinda gross." Her head crooked to the side slightly. "What happened?"

            "I ran into some poison." Kitty shrugged. It wasn't exactly a lie.

            "Willingly?" Clara shook her head, and made a scoffing noise. "Why?"

            "I was trying to help someone."

            Clara's pile of clothing kept growing by the second. "Did it work?"

            "No." If anything, she'd probably made the entire situation worse.

            "Then you were stupid to try. But at least you tried. Once we get you into some decent clothes, I'll take you to Penny."

            "Penny?" Kitty knew the name sounded familiar, but from where?

            "She's the pack doctor. Pretty friendly. A lot nicer than Jemimah." Kitty was sure she was pulling some sort of face. Clara sighed. "Jemimah was the old pack doctor. Really good at her job, but she was so... I wouldn't say unfriendly, but she definitely didn't beat around the bush."

            "Oh, okay." Kitty just nodded. Clara gave her a funny look.

            "Anyway, Micah mentioned that the doctor wanted to speak to you anyway."