Nineteen | It's Not What They Said

"Everything they told us, has always been so wrong."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I still can't believe yours haven't healed yet," Eden exclaimed, still icing Kitty's bruised body. It had been hours, and hours, since training finished and she still looked like a walking bruise. It was horrendous, but luckily, it was only her torso, back and arms. Maybe a couple on her legs too, "it's kinda scary."

"I'm a slow healer – you know that." Luckily, she had three days left for them to heal, or mostly disappear. Regret filled her as she remembered accepting Micah's offer to teach her a few tricks. He was a nicer teacher than Eden – not hitting her with his full strength (although she might have been knocked out had that happened). She'd learned a lot, but mostly, that she was never ever doing training again. She definitely preferred Jordan's way of doing things: out of the way of unwanted eyes, and made sure she knew the move well before attacking her.

"We can all tell that." Eden said, focusing on Kitty's ribs. While Kitty was sporting black and blue, Eden's bruises were nicely healing; they were an ugly shade of yellow but by the morning, she'd wake up with flawless skin. Envy filled Kitty – instead of smooth pale skin, she'd have pale yellow patches.

In her peripheral vision, Kitty noticed her laptop had stopped playing the video. Using her leg, she carefully manoeuvred it over to the laptop, and clicked the space button with her toe. Hemlock Grove carried on playing, and Eden let out a loving sigh when Landon Liboiron came on screen.

"Damn. Maybe I should take a trip to Hemlock Grove. Find myself having a bit of Peter Rumancek." Eden's hand hovered in mid-air, holding a bag of frozen peas, while staring with her mouth open and drooling at the screen. Just as Kitty was about to blow Eden's dream to smithereens, she heard a familiar voice call their names. Peering over the back of the sofa, she saw curly blonde hair and a bubbly member of the Miller family walking over to them.

"Hey, Clara." Kitty waved, and Clara smiled, leaning on the back of the sofa.

"What are you–," Clara grimaced and looked away, holding a hand to her mouth, "That is disgusting. I'm so glad my eyes don't pop out while shifting! Why are you even watching this?"

"Eden found her soul mate." Kitty joked. "Honestly, the world could be ending and she wouldn't move. Not while this show is playing."

"Speaking of soul mates, I heard Alpha Gabriel found his." If Kitty could have stopped breathing – she would have. Her heart skipped a beat and she felt herself heating up.

"Oh?" While she didn't think Clara knew it was her, she felt a little upset that someone else might have been seen to be Gabriel's mate. But that was what he wanted, right? He didn't want the daughter of Samuel Flowers to be by his side. Especially since he thought Kitty would be most likely to murder him in his sleep, or stab him in the back.

"Don't play coy," Clara's eyes twinkled, "I know it's you."

"Me?" Kitty stammered. How was she supposed to react? As much as she wanted to say to Clara that she was right... she didn't know the consequences of admitting it to someone other than Eden, Micah or Gabriel himself. She was pretty sure Gabriel had no intention of revealing who she was, especially in the foreseeable future. "That's ridiculous."

"Is it?" Clara hid a smile. Eden wrenched her eyes away from the screen. Amusement glinted in her best friend's eyes but she said nothing. Kitty knew that whatever she'd told Eden in confidence, would stay between the two. She hadn't even needed to bother asking her to keep who Gabriel was to Kitty a secret. "'Cause it's funny, you know? I've never seen Alpha stare at someone so intensely."