Ten | I'm With You

"Cause nothing's going right, and everything's a mess."

  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~  

"Brandon?" Gabriel heard his mate whisper, and his wolf growled. There was something in Kitty's eyes that made his heart pang. It was almost as if she had a longing look. He knew it was irrational to be jealous, he knew that he hadn't given her a chance. There was a chance that he wouldn't go anywhere near her after this. You only danced with her because of Micah and your wolf. He thought to himself, trying to rationalise his feelings.

Her friend, Jordan, had asked him to hold her but Gabriel let her go, and turned his body so that he could see what was happening. Two guards were dragging a limp and beaten body into the centre of the field. Gabriel frowned, wondering where this was all leading to. He was sure that this was meant to be a peaceful party. Even though it was held in Kitty's honour, during the meeting, Samuel had threatened that if anyone were to break the peace, he'd make them pay. None of the alphas had doubted the promise behind his threat.

"Brandon!" He heard Kitty cry before she started to sprint towards her father. Cursing himself, he reached out and grabbed her, pulling Kitty towards him. He struggled to keep a grip on her, and looked to her friend who mouthed an apology. He felt Micah try to help him with Kitty but Gabriel refused to give her up. Even if he didn't want to admit it out loud, it felt good to have her in his arms. It was almost like they were two pieces of a puzzle slotting together perfectly. "Let me go!"

"Kits, you need to calm down." Her friend was in front of her, trying to calm her. Gabriel barely knew the girl, but he knew that this wasn't going to calm her down. She was thrashing about like a madwoman. After a couple of attempts, the boy turned to Gabriel. "Alpha Redford, you have to calm her down, please."

Gabriel nodded and somehow managed to turn her round. She'd stopped as soon as her friend had mentioned his name. She stood in front of Gabriel, her eyes glazed over slightly.

"Kitty?" She snapped out of her daze and looked up at him, and her face almost made his heart break. She looked so sad, so defenceless. "If I let you go, will you stay here?" She nodded, as if she couldn't say anything. Slowly, he let her out of his arms, but she stayed. She moved to the side slightly, filling the gap that had now appeared between him and Micah, but she was shaking like a leaf.

After giving her a quick glance, to make sure she wouldn't suddenly sprint away, he focused his attention on the newcomer who was lifting his head with a loud groan. In the corner of his eyes, he saw Kitty raise her hands to her mouth, her bright blue eyes were wide. Curiosity filled him; who was this boy to her? He brushed the thought out of his mind - he didn't want her. Even though Micah had constantly told him that she was nothing like her father, and that the fact she stole from her father should have proved that, he still couldn't believe it. He didn't want to. His parents had trusted one member of the Flowers family, and now they were resting six feet under the ground. His brother had left a year or two after their deaths, and his family was broken; all because they trusted Richard Flowers.

Silence filled the clearing, and Gabriel noticed a group close to Kitty's age slowly making their way over to Brandon. A frown fell on his lips when he saw Kitty's friend, Eden, with them. From what he could gather, they were joined at the hip. Even Micah had commented that he'd never seen either of them with anyone else, and on the tour, Gabriel swore he could have seen looks of hatred shot at Kitty. What he couldn't understand was why - and he'd even thought that he was imagining the looks. But as one of the girls looked over to where he stood, there was no mistake the rage and fury behind the stare she was giving them.

"You all remember Brandon, who I exiled two years ago." Samuel spoke, loud and clear. Gabriel didn't like the calmness of his tone - it was devoid of any emotion yet there was a hint of a smile on his face. Samuel was enjoying this, he was sure. Looking around, Gabriel saw confused expressions on the other alphas' faces, matching his own. "For our guests who don't know, Mr. Brandon Trevayor was exiled due to treason committed against the alpha family. And he was told that if he was ever to return, he would be executed."