Nine | High Above the Ground

"When we're so close to heaven, underneath the moonlight, yeah it's paradise.
It's gonna be too hard to say goodnight."

  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

"Come on, Kits!" She heard Eden huff and puff. "You look amazing! Why don't you believe me?"

"Because!" Kitty huffed back, trying to think of a reason. She felt Eden's hand grip her shoulder tightly and force her to see herself in the full-length mirror. They'd decided to get ready at Eden's, apparently to make more of a 'surprise' but Eden had seen how Kitty was starting to panic and thought that if they were at hers, she was more likely to be calm. It worked. Additionally, Kitty had no make-up whereas her best friend couldn't live without the stuff.

"Saying 'because' isn't going to cut it." Eden growled. Kitty knew she probably felt a little underappreciated; she'd spent hours on Kitty trying to make her presentable. Trying to make Kitty proud of her own appearance. It had been a while since she'd made a proper effort. "Now, look in that mirror and tell me that you are smoking!"

"I... I look different." An astonished look garnished Kitty's face. She couldn't believe what Eden had transformed her into. Her eyes had been lined with black eyeliner, at the corners were tiny wings, and her cheeks looked more rosy than usual. Her pale pink lips now looked fuller and sparkled slightly. Her blonde hair had pretty curled and fell down her body beautifully, free of any hairbands. With the outfit that Leila had picked out, her feet in some strappy kitten heels, she didn't look as if she was an eighteen year old. She felt older, and it scared her. "Thanks, Eddie."

"Thanks? Is that all I get? No, 'Oh Eden, you are so wise and glamorous!'" Kitty rolled her eyes, which Eden's attentive eyes caught. "Roll your eyes all you like, but tonight I am your fairy godmother."

"I'm not Cinderella!" Kitty screeched. She knew it had been a mistake as soon as they put the film on.

"You are!"

"How? Please, tell me." Eden opened her mouth, but Kitty talked over her. "I don't have a step-mother, my father is very much alive, I'm not a princess and I don't have a Prince Charming!"

"You've got an alpha though." Eden pointed out, to which Kitty shook her head.

"Gabriel doesn't want me. And no, we are not leaving a shoe behind." She could see the clogs in her best friend's mind turning, trying to make some sort of film romance. It wasn't going to happen. If Gabriel had wanted Kitty, he would have swept her up the minute he saw her. It hadn't happened, and that was the end of it. Nothing was going to happen, and Kitty had accepted it. Eden, however, was adamant that Gabriel would keel over when he saw her.

"We don't need to! One glance at you and he'll be lovestruck!" Eden giggled, and Kitty rolled her eyes. She couldn't have been tipsy after two cans of beer, could she? Eden was the heavyweight out of the two of them. She'd known her best friend to guzzle a whole bottle of wine, and still be sober. "You deserve some happiness."

"Like I said, he doesn't want me."

"But he didn't say no! You said so!" Eden exclaimed. "That means you have a chance!"

"What happened to you and the whole 'he threatened you, he doesn't deserve you' rant that you went on about for two hours?" Kitty reminded Eden. When they'd come back from Gabriel's that awful night, Eden hadn't had the chance to rant to Kitty about her feelings. When she'd met up with Eden the next night, after showing Gabriel and Alpha FitzPatrick round the packhouse, Eden had vented. Sleeping it away hadn't helped, in fact Eden's temper had festered and the rage that poured out of her was unbelievable.