Three | Have Faith In Me

"You should know things aren't always what they seem."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

While marching to the forest, Kitty felt like someone was watching her. However she put it down to her paranoia. Eden had told her the plan was to use her tracking abilities to avoid the guards and members of the packs, and that Eden would get them to Gabriel's (Jordan had given her directions). It was a simple plan but deep in her gut, Kitty knew something was bound to go wrong.

Getting to the river wasn't a problem. Since it was almost midnight, everyone was in their homes. Both Kitty and Eden had been to the river several times, they knew their way and could navigate it blindfolded (and they'd practically had to because of the darkness surrounding them). It was with the guards that their problems laid with. Her father had amped up the amount of guards on shift because of the rogues and because there was the possibility of Kitty sneaking out. Which was happening.

"Now what?" Kitty whispered, keeping her voice as low as she could. They were waiting, hidden behind a row of bushes and leaves. The scent of the guards lurked about, but it was quite faint and they'd kept downwind of them. There was no way the guards could smell Eden or Kitty. They were dressed entirely in black; Kitty wore a black three-quarter sleeved top with black jeans and boots. Eden had worn exactly the same but had a cropped top on instead. Her reason? She wanted to be ready to throw herself at a hot guy.

"It's almost midnight. When you see the guards group by the bridge, run into the water. We get one chance, so don't go overthinking it." Kitty nodded. They had trekked a little further down the forest, the bridge was just about in sight. Eden had told he that this was their best chance - the guards would be discussing their shifts and wouldn't notice two shadows sprinting across the field.

Patiently, they waited but Kitty's legs felt like they were being shocked. They kept jerking, ready to leap out of the bushes.

"Bingo!" Eden whispered, pointing to the men huddling together. Both girls waited until the men's backs faced them, their faces turned away. The ones who were facing their direction hopefully had been blocked. As soon as the path seemed clear, Kitty ran across the grass and when she reached the river, she slowly dipped herself in trying not to make too much noise. She and Eden had agreed beforehand to dip their heads in the water as much as they could, and keep to the edge. What they hadn't anticipated, was the coldness of the water and being submerged fully clothed while waiting for the patrol to disperse.

Resisting the urge to chatter her teeth, Kitty managed to stay silent and still long enough for the old guards to go home, and the new ones to leave. It had felt like they'd been statues for hours.

"Time to swim." Kitty whispered, the words had been harder to form than she thought. She watched Eden nod, the water rippling beneath her head, and they turned half-swimming half-walking across the water. The river was too shallow to properly swim but too deep to walk across without their faces (or more importantly, their noses) being under water. It took them no more than two minutes to get to the other side and they pulled themselves out, their bodies sliding against the muddy embankment.

They didn't stop to check themselves though, Eden pulled Kitty into the second forest and when they were hidden by a curtain of tree leaves they allowed themselves a moment of rest. Kitty's heart was thudding, hard and fast, against its boned prison. Avoiding detection had been the most exhilarating thing her life. Well, putting aside the kiss from Gabriel...

"God! My clothes are so dirty!" Eden complained after turning on a torch, her voice no longer quiet.

"People won't be looking at your clothes." Kitty pointed out, with her own torch, that her friend's cleavage would be attracting attention. Her best friend chortled and agreed, using her own hands to push her breasts together even more. Kitty rolled her eyes, a small laugh on her lips, as she pulled her boots off, one at a time, and tipped them upside down.