Twenty One | It Only Hurts

"It only hurts when your eyes are open,

Lies get tossed and truth is spoken."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Are you crazy? I'm not doing that for you, Kits." Kitty sighed, rubbing her forehead. Her hands tightly gripped her mobile.

"Come on, Nathan, please?" She begged, hoping her older brother would help with her mad plan, "For me?"

"Prisoners don't get visitors." He said, repeating a statement her father had said himself many times. "You know that as well as I do, Kitty."

"He's never going to see her again!" She shouted before cringing. Looking around, she saw that no-one was paying attention to her. Instead, they were all focused on the TV or playing card games. It seemed odd to her; but they all seemed content. Then again, she was always holed up in her room glued to whatever TV series had stolen her attention. "It's not fair, and you know it Nathan."

"I'm not going to go against Dad's wishes because you have a soft spot for the boy."

"A soft spot? Really?" She let out a small growl, ignoring the worried glances staring at her. Taking a deep breath in, she let it back out slowly. "Nathan, he's chained up in the basement because of me – because I made one stupid mistake!"

"Dad told him he had a death sentence on his head when was banished. He chose to come back." Nathan argued back. While Kitty could agree with the logic, that wasn't ruling her argument and she wasn't backing down. The only reason she'd called her brother was because she didn't want to endanger his relationship with Jordan by going behind his back.

"Because of me!" She hissed down the phone. Letting out a sigh, she tried a new tactic. "You can't tell me you felt terrible when Dad whipped Phoebe? When Carli was beaten black and blue by Beta Marx because they both had a harmless crush on you?"

There was nothing from Nathan's side, and she could hear his heavy breathing. She felt like a royal bitch by bringing up the past but she needed him to see it from her point of view. If anyone knew how she felt, how a hole was being ripped in her heart, it was Nathan. He'd inflicted as much pain as she had – even if it was unintentional.

"Nate," she used a nickname only reserved for those who were close to him, "I need to make something right. We're a cursed family and you know it."

"Fine." He surrendered after a couple more moments of silence. "But if Dad finds out–,"

"Blame it on me." She didn't even hesitate. "I have nothing to lose." And it was the cold, hard truth. Nathan had everything to lose; his position, his gorgeous mate... his dignity. But Kitty? She had no mate (she may have shared a bed with Gabriel, and they be civil but she knew she didn't exactly have the greatest of chances), she hadn't spent her whole life learning how to deal with pack business and she'd lost all her dignity years ago. The only person she had left to lose was Eden, and even then there were people who'd fight for her if Kitty wasn't there.

"No, I can't–,"

"You can, and you will." She was adamant. "It's my idea and I'll deal with the punishment." While they were sneaking Jessica in to see Brandon, that was only a smidge of the plan. When Kitty was back, Jessica would walk round the borders of their territory and mark the area. While the guards chased after the scent (Jessica hopefully would have run into the city by the time they caught on) they'd sneak Brandon out, using Gabriel's territory. Clara would be there to lead him to his waiting mate while Kitty and Eden joined the search party. A simple plan that would hopefully work.