Twenty Two | World So Cold

*unedited [will edit during the next few days]

[ first couple of paragraphs contain some violence/slight gore - if you want to skip, look for "Eden!" ]

"There's a sickness inside you that wants to escape."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"This is just the beginning of it all." Caleb's face taunted her, his smile grim as he held a bloodied butcher's knife in one hand. Blood spatters covered his face, and the smell of rancid meat filled her nostrils. She could feel herself gag at the smell. As much as she didn't want to know why Caleb was caked in fresh blood, she needed to know but she had a bad feeling.

            Kitty jumped a little when she felt something cold and slick trail down the side of her face. In the corner of her eye, she saw a metallic glint. Gulping, Kitty focused on Caleb's disgusting face. She didn't want to think about what he'd plunged the knife in before toying her with it.

            "It's all your fault, Kathryn." His breath fanned over her face. It was a horrid stench – just like the rest of him. "If you hadn't gone running to Daddy, then no-one would be hurt."

            Frowning, Kitty stared at Caleb. His smile stretched too far, almost splitting his cheek. He took a few steps back, and the first thing Kitty noticed was the apron. The apron soaked in blood and there were pieces of skin stuck to it. As he took more steps back, the scene behind him revealed itself.

            Acidic blood raced up Kitty's throat. On her far left was Brandon – or what was left of him. His skin hung limply from his thin frame. His bones protruded from his body in places that they shouldn't have, and nothing remained of his eyes.

            Next to him, was Jessica. Her eyes were closed, but her face was shredded. However, looking at her stomach was the worst thing that Kitty could have done. It was split wide open and her intestines drooped onto the floor. Blood pooled below her, and Kitty was sure there was a lump of flesh underneath. She didn't want to think what had happened to the baby Jessica was carrying.

            Her eyes flickered over to the next body, without her realising. Kitty's mind was screaming at her to stop staring. To look elsewhere. To find a way out. But another part, a darker part of her, was telling her she had to look. She'd caused this destruction, this ruin, and part of her punishment meant that she had to witness it all. Her chest heaved with guilt and sorrow.

            Micah was there – or at least, his upper half was there. His face was frozen into a mask of pure terror and pain. Instead of feeling any anger, like she knew she should have, all she could feel was horror. Horror that people she cared about were dead. Horror that they'd been put through unnecessary pain. Horror that it was her fault.

            You never deserved them.

            Gabriel was next. Unlike the others, his chest was still moving. But it was barely moving. Spit full of blood dribbled from his mouth and hung in the air. His bare chest was dripping with his own blood but she could see the deep gashes in his chest. Together, they created a symbol. One from the old packs. One she instantly recognised.

            Traitor.

            Chains being dragged against the floor caught her attention. Turning her head she saw Caleb dragging Eden in by her hair. Big, clunky silver chains dragged behind her. Kitty could hear the burning of Eden's skin and see smoke fanning from her battered body. It smelt horrible; and her nose was filling with the scent of Eden's burnt skin. She'd never forget it.