Twenty Eight | The Soldier

*unedited (mostly)

"So what, you raise your voice? I'm screaming back my choice.

'Cause I sure ain't scared of you any more."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The sound of plastic clattering against the floor, food shooting out filled the silence. That was before Reggie walked over to the bars. His hands gripped the bars, before he instantly let go with a hiss.

"Kitty?" He repeated the question. Her ear flicked as she heard someone shuffling. She kept her eyes on Reggie. He wasn't a threat but how much did he know? But then again, it was Reggie! Reggie, who she'd known her whole life. Reggie, who hated even the thought of killing spiders. Reggie, who had covered for her so many times. So why was she doubting him? "That can't be you."

Reggie looked at her stunned. Shell-shocked might have been a better word to describe him.

"Reggie, the food?" Brandon asked. Cursing under his breath, Reggie looked down at the food. He let out a small groan, rubbing his hands with his face. Bending down, he scraped the un-squashed food back onto the plate. Opening the cage door, Kitty heard him mumble an apology before locking the door. Brandon waved him off, before shovelling the food down his throat.

Bending down, Reggie did the same with the second plastic tray. He then opened Kitty's door, and slowly walked in. Her eyes went straight to the open door. It wasn't left ajar, where she would have had to risk pushing the door open and burning herself. No. It was wide open. She could make a dash for it. Could escape from the basement.

Kitty didn't even flinch.

Reggie cautiously approached her, as if she was about to pounce on him. Slowly, his legs bent and he lowered himself and placed the tray on the ground. His eyes never left Kitty's. She stayed where she was. Her eyes met Reggie's. His were a whirlpool of emotions – she couldn't pin one down.

Brandon spoke then – but not even her enhanced hearing could have deciphered his words. Reggie's head turned slightly, but his eyes still stayed on Kitty. She could tell Reggie was frightened of her. She wouldn't hurt him though. She couldn't.

"What?" His voice was soft. Kitty heard the slight tremble, the slight wobble.

"She won't hurt you." His words were clearer than before. He still had a mouth full of mush though. "It's not like when the pups shift."

"She shouldn't have shifted!" Reggie's voice was sharper than it had been before. His teeth were stuck together, as if he was trying to hold in his anger. "She's too–,"

Kitty barked at that point. It wasn't menacing at all – just one to catch their attention. Her head cocked to the side. She hoped that Reggie got her hint.

He didn't.

"The shift should have killed her. Alpha Flowers doesn't know what's going to happen." Reggie looked at Kitty once more. He took a deep breath, and took a small step forward. His breathing was a little less erratic than before; and he spoke with less of a wobble.

"You knew this was going to happen?" Brandon's voice rose. Something slapped to the floor, and she heard a low growl. It was a threatening one; that was for sure. It wasn't quite a snarl. "You knew their sick plans?"