Thirty Eight |

UNEDITED

"Shift," the man loomed over Kitty. Sweat trickled from every pore in her body. She shook her head. It was hard to keep her eyes open; she was so tired and sweat kept burning her eyes.

"No," she shook her head. Pants rushed from her mouth, and she felt like she couldn't get enough air in her lungs. The soaked ground was her best friend; it was so cold and the wind whipped at her skin. It felt like heaven! "I can't do it anymore!"

When she first started training, the sun was just beginning to rise from its slumber. Now the sky was an array of pinks and oranges. If she wasn't in so much pain, she would have appreciated the sight more.

"It wasn't a question. Shift," a low rumble came from Kitty's chest, matching the one the man released.

"I can't," she insisted. It wasn't a lie; her bones felt sore. Her entire body ached. Physically, she couldn't move. They'd been doing it all day – and her stomach was complaining. Loudly.

"You shifted into fur twice. That's not good enough. Not for an eighteen year old," the trainer snapped. "Again, now."

"No!" She knew it was a bad move to refuse but she was tired – it was their second day of 'training'. Kitty had expected something along the lines of running, fighting... not shifting into fur and back to skin. It was so painful and so tiring. She'd fainted during the first day. Her second day wasn't any better.

"I swear to–,"

"Aiden!" Relief flooded her when she heard Gabriel's voice, "Go get some dinner. I'll finish up."

From the corner of her eyes, the looming figure rested back. He nodded, "Thank you, Alpha." More relief seeped into her bones as her trainer walked away. She didn't dislike him, she just... wasn't his biggest fan after he forced her to continually shift. Kitty resented him – that was the word.

Slowly, Gabriel crouched down, before plonking himself on the ground. Crossing his legs, said nothing but stared at Kitty. Unlike before, she wasn't sure how to act around him because he had been acting strange. The day before, he'd watched as she'd shifted but hadn't made any snide comments... or any at all.

"Can I help?" She asked, gaining her breath back. In all honesty, she wasn't sure what was going through Gabriel's mind.

"How many times did you shift?"

"Twice," a small frown appeared on her lips, "I think..."

"It's a little unimpressive for a princess, don't you think?" There was almost a hint of smile on his face. She was sure it was a trick of light though – why would he suddenly make effort with her? After consistently putting her down?

"I'm not a princess."

"By blood you are."

"That doesn't mean I'm going to instantly somehow be able to shift," she sighed, cringing as she did. Steady, slow breaths. That was the way to go. Unless she wanted to create more pain for herself, which she didn't want to, "How come you aren't inside eating?"

Gabriel shrugged. She was sure he was ill or something – maybe on a drug?

"You can leave me alone if you want," she turned to look back at the sky. The pinks and oranges darkened. Soon, all that would be left was a navy, and maybe the twinkling of stars if the clouds weren't going to slowly travel across the sky, "Unless you don't trust me not to run?"