He Always Knows What To Do

You hadn't said a word since getting back and it worried him. You had spent the afternoon with a friend and he knew silence meant something had happened. He isn't sure what to do though. You usually end up saying something before dinner, but dinner was three hours ago. You had walked in and went straight to the study. He had watched you walk by him, your steps were defeated but held enough purpose behind them to get you to isolation. You mindlessly wandered the internet, but nothing was taking your mind off of the afternoon. So much had happened in such a small amount of time. Your friend had told you so much and you just didn't know where to put it in your mind. You know shutting Harry out isn't going to make anything better, it never does. But you also know that he is going to give you as much space as you require. You had been together long enough for him to know exactly what to do in times like these. You know he's more than likely sitting outside in the hallway, just waiting for you to open up the door to let him in. All he wants to do is give you a hug. You can't find the strength to get up from the chair though. Tears begin to fall from your eyes as you close the laptop; it wasn't helping you in any way. You bring your legs up in the chair and pull your knees tightly into your chest. You bite down on your knee to keep your crying as quiet as possible. You rest your head on your legs and take a deep breath in, the first one you had taken in hours. Letting the air out of your lungs a cry escapes and the door immediately opens. You knew he was waiting right outside. He just needed the smallest of excuses to let himself in. He walks straight over to you, not a word being spoken between you. You aren't going to say a word to him, you know he is here to help. He holds his hands out for you and you bring your feet back down to the floor. He pulls you from the chair and into him. He isn't going to ask you about what happened this afternoon. He knows you will tell him when you are ready. Right now though, he is going to hold you. You bring your arms around his torso and hold on tightly. His grip on you is strong, just what you need. He always knew exactly what you needed no matter what the situation. You are sure your tears are staining his shirt and you pull away. Your hold on him is still strong but you are looking up at him now.

 "I love you," he simply says, and it only takes those three small words bring more tears to your eyes. You know you are going to have to calm down more than this in order to talk to him. You know you are going to have to talk to him, he expects it. But right now you are thankful for the silence. It hurts him to watch you cry but there is nothing he can do at the moment. He presses a kiss to your forehead before you rest back against his chest. His hands run up and down your back, doing their best to calm you. Everything from the afternoon was slowly coming back to you, but this time at a more tolerable pace. You were beginning to breathe in a more steady rhythm, and your mind didn't seem as chaotic as it was when you first walked through the door. 

"You missed dinner. Do you think you are ready to try and eat something?" He asks, his chin resting on top of your head. You nod into his chest and he pulls back slightly, taking your hand to lead you out of the room. You know this process. It probably happens more than it should. You're grateful though. Harry knows exactly how to handle it, even when you don't.