CHAPTER FIVE

There was a clatter as Sir Merrill dropped his sword in surprise. "Sire.", he stuttered, "No but you're dead it can't be! I was there, I saw you get stabbed!" He was white like a sheet and his face showed an expression of utter disbelief. "Sir Merrill please listen to me,", Arthur told him, trying to keep his voice calm, "It is me. I have been returned to you my the Triple Goddess to protect this land and all of the people in it. The Goddess has given me a second chance to prove myself worthy of her support." Sir Merrill had been staring at Arthur with his mouth hanging open all the time Arthur had been talking, and now, realising what he was doing, he closed it quickly. "Now my friend,", the king began, "please ride ahead to Camelot and gather all the knights and everyone from the palace in the great hall but do not give them the reason. Have you got that?" The astounded knight nodded his head. "Yes my lord, of course my lord." Then he rode away as fast has he could all the while muttering under his breath; "I can't believe it. This can't be real. He's dead. But he was right there!" When the knight had disappeared into the woods Arthur turned to Merlin and said; "Merlin give me your cloak so I can pass through the lower town without being recognised. Then I want you to go and collect my old armour and Excalibur and meet me by the north castle wall." Grinning from ear to ear Merlin replied;" You always did like a grand entrance didn't you my lord."