CHAPTER FORTY-THREE

For one, brief moment before the spell hit Mordred squarely in the chest and flung him backwards, Alia saw the terror in their enemy's eyes. An emotion so pure and powerful that Mordred's mind could not withstand it and the connection snapped. Like a lightning bolt, the Druid girl felt a surge of power shoot through her body from head to toe. She yelped and Merlin and Arthur lost no time in asking her what was wrong. "I, I think Mordred's connection broke. My magic is back." "Your magic is back?", Merlin was confused, "Where did it go?" But before Alia could reply there was a moan of pain from the other end of the room. Immediately, all three of them spun around to face Mordred who was sprawled across the floor in front of a desk. Merlin carefully approached his former friend and knelt down beside him. "Mordred,", he whispered softly, "it's not too late you know." Mordred's face was a mask of rage and pain and he was staring at Merlin with such hatred that Merlin thought they'd lost him completely. "You killed Kara. It's your fault she'd dead. I will never forgive you for that."

Merlin shook his head sadly and walked flatly back to his friends. He was about to ask what should happen to Modred now but Alia beat him to it. "Let me talk to him." The two men just stared. "Please." After a few shared looks Arthur spoke; "Alright. But be careful." "He's dangerous Alia." " Look out. We're be right behind you.", Merlin added.

Carefully, Alia padded forwards to where the hurt Mordred lay, breathing heavily. She sat down next to him and crossed her legs. "What do you want, little girl.", Mordred sneered. "To help you.", came the reply. Mordred stared up at her. She was so young, he thought and she reminded him of himself. A naiv Druid, trying to live peacefully with the world around her. "How?" "You say that Merlin killed your love and that you could never forgive him. But I know that's not true. You see I have a special gift. And I don't mean my magic. Sometimes, I can... I can feel what's inside of peoples souls. I don't know why or how but I've always been able to do it. There is kindness within you. I know you blame Merlin and Arthur for what happened but it's not their fault. You know that too, deep inside, but you won't admit it. You need someone to blame. Otherwise you'd blame yourself and you know you couldn't carry that burden." All the while the warlock was watching Alia, his eyes growing wider by the minute. "You're a Druid too aren't you?" Mordred nodded slightly and pulled down the shirt he was wearing just enough to show the symbol that was emblazoned on his pale skin right on his collarbone. Alia reached up and swept her long hair away from her face and turing her head just a little bit away from Mordred so he in turn could gaze at her own symbol upon her slender neck.

"We're not so different, you and I.", she gave him a warm smile and Mordred could not help but give her a small smile in return. "You are a good man. We all know that already. Now you just need to prove it to yourself." Alia extended a hand towards the Druid. He just stared at her outstretched palm in amazement.

"Let us help you. We're your friends." "I can't.", Mordred bowed his head and whispered to the ground. "I could never be your friend. Not after everything I have done to you. I'm sorry. So sorry." His cloak was torn and dusty and his face was full of grime. There was a fine trickle of blood running down his cheek. When he looked up again, his face was contorted with sorrow and regret. And then, Mordred cracked.

As if in a trance, he lifted his head to the ceiling, his arms outstretched and then, he screamed.

A/N: Hey so I just wanted to know what you think of the last few chapters? Any ideas or suggestions? Feedback? I'd be really grateful. Thanks!