CHAPTER EIGHT

At once all heads turned to stare at the servant boy that had just entered the room. "Merlin!", the Queen began; "What's going on?" Once more Merlin breathed in as deeply as he could and slowly let the air flow out of his lungs before beginning. "Sirs and ladies and of course your highness,",he smiled at Gwen and bowed lightly, "it brings me great joy to have you all gathered here on this wonderful day. For a miracle has happened. Since you have let magic back into this land it has rewarded us greatly. One of our finest warriors, our most respected men, our loyalest friends has been returned to us by the mighty Triple Goddess to help us in this war against evil. I must ask you to remain calm when he rejoins our circle and to trust and respect him as you always have. Do I have your word?" A murmur of agreement accompanied with a few nods swept through the room. Everyone was confused yet excited to see which of their many lost soldiers had been brought back to aid them in these dark times. Then one of the knights shouted out;" Well? Who is it?" With one last sweeping look of all the faces watching him, Merlin opened his mouth and spoke;" The one who has been returned to us is-" Suddenly the great oak doors swung open with much force and into to light stepped "Arthur Pendragon, King of Albion." Silence. Then a scream as Guinevere launched herself across the hall and flung herself at her husband, sobbing into his shoulder. "Arthur! Arthur you're back!", and she dissolved into tears of joy once more. Stroking her long, dark hair Arthur replied with a smirk. "Gwen. My love, my Queen. You didn't think I would just leave you now did you?" Then after gently separating himself from his wife and placing her into Merlin's arms he addressed the still silent room. "My knights, my friends, my people. As you can see Merlin here spoke the truth. I have been returned to you by magic. I am here to help you not only to end this war, but to win it. You all know me well enough to know that I do not give up easily. Not on anyone or anything. And that, my friends, is what I ask of you. That you do not give up on me and that you trust me. I know it must be difficult but I beg each and every single one of you. Let me be here for you. Let me help you. I promise I will never let you down. I will fight until there is nothing left to fight for. And we will win. All I ask is that you give me a chance." One again silence consumed the room. Then suddenly; "All hail King Arthur, King of Albion." And with that a chant went up. "All hail the King! All hail the king!"

And the celebrations began.