CHAPTER FORTY-SIX

When Alia opened her blue eyes for the next time, she was lying in her own bed in Gaius' chambers. She sat up, stared around and spotted someone in a bed that had been set up next to hers. "Welcome back." Merlin walked over and hugged her. He looked tired yet happy. When she glanced back to bed beside her Merlin said;" Mordred is fine. You saved his life by speaking to him. What did you say?" Alia just shook her head and said; "It doesn't matter anymore. It's all over." Then she sank back into her pillows and let herself be swept away, back into a dreamless sleep.

*Three months later*

"Hurry up Mordred! You do not want to be late for this." Alia banged on the door of Mordred's chambers until they opened and her friend stepped outside. She gave him a calculating look and then stated; "Red suits you, you know." "Umm thanks Alia.", Mordred grinned at her and together, they made they're way towards the throne room.

As they hurried across the courtyard, an enormous shadow passed over them, blocking out the sun. Then the two dragons landed gracefully next to them. "Kilgharrah! Aithusa!", Alia called happily, "Come to join the festivities?" "Why of course, little Druid. We have to be seen around here regularly if we want people to accept that we are now free to visit whenever we wish. It was very kind of the young Pendragon to let us roam freely without fear. He is a great King, just like I knew he would be." Alia beamed up at the great dragon and then pulled Mordred up the stone steps and into the castle.

...............................................................................................................

After giving him a hug and a thumbs-up, Alia snuck through the oak doors to join Merlin who stood beside Arthur holding the sword ready. Then the doors were flung open and Mordred strode in, his red cape, emblazoned with the golden dragon, streaming out behind him just like it had all that time ago. He walked nervously forwards until he had reached the King and was was bending down to kneel on the small stool before him. "We're glad to have you back, my friend." Arthur grinned down at him before turning to take the sword from Merlin. Arthur touched each of Mordred's shoulders with the tip of his sword. Then, as Mordred cautiously lifted his eyes to his King's face, Arthur finally spoke; "Arise, Sir Mordred, knight of Albion."