CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR

Only now after seeing Arthur again, with his polished armour and his freshly washed clothes did she realise how dirty she actually was. Her dress was tattered and torn and she was covered in grime. Her long, straight hair was covered in twigs and leaves and she desperately needed a bath. Alia leaned back into Arthur and closed her eyes. She was so tired and Arthur's body was warm and his scent familiar and comforting. It was getting dark anyway. Slowly, the exhausted young girl let herself be pulled under the waves of consciousness and fell asleep.

A while later she was abruptly awoken by the horse jolting to a stop and Arthur muttering; "What on earth...?" Alia sat up and stared around her wide eyed. They had just reached the top of a hill from which they could clearly see all of the castle and the surrounding village. But something was wrong. Something wasn't as it should be. Both Alia and Arthur gazed at Camelot with narrowed eyes, trying to figure out what was wrong. Then Alia spotted them. Men and women clad in long dark robes with hoods pulled low over their faces were gliding through the streets of the the lower town. Alia was about to point this out to Arthur when a faint but unmistakeable scream pierced the air followed by a column of fire, which erupted from the market place. Confused the pair tried to make out what was going on but they were too far away to make out any details. Suddenly a small dwelling burst into flames, then another, and another. Soon the lower village was ablaze and people were screaming and running for their lives. Alia jumped off the horse and gasped; "Arthur! What-?" "I don't know but I'm going to find out. Stay here Alia." When Alia tried to protest the King turned to her, his face set, and said; "That's on order." Then he faced his steed toward the city and galloped away, leaving a distressed Alia behind.

...............................................................................................................

Merlin sat with his head in his hands asking himself again and again what had driven him to hit his own sister. And now she was gone. It had been four days since he last saw her and he was getting desperate. The young warlock knew that Arthur was out searching for her and that he would not rest until Alia had been retuned safely. Merlin punched himself internally for letting Arthur talk him into staying here 'incase she came back'. Look where that had gotten him! Holed up in his room with nothing to do except worry. Suddenly, he heard an explosion somewhere outside. Immediately Merlin stood up and raced to the window. What he saw made his breath catch in this throat. They were here. The sorcerers he had seen in the Crystal Cave. Aragon's army of warlocks and witches had arrived in Camelot. And Arthur was gone. 

A/N: Sorry for the short chapter but more should be coming soon! Please let me know what you think!