CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN

By the end of the day, everything was in place. The fake key was hidden deep within the dungeons, all the knights had the information and Merlin, Arthur and Alia were lying in wait in a dark corner of the dungeons with a single, flickering torch.

"As soon as that traitor shows his face he will, he will..." "Pay for his betrayal?",Merlin offered, rather unhelpfully. "Yes thank you Merlin.", Arthur said, with just a hint of sarcasm in his voice as he glared at his friend. Merlin lifted his hands in a gesture of defeat and grinned. "How long do you think we'll have to wait?",Alia asked, beginning to grow bored already. Arthur opened his mouth to respond but just then, a shadow flickered around the wall and they all fell silent. Arthur had already taken a battle stance, ready to fight. The three of them waited with baited breath as the figure drew nearer and nearer. As soon as the man turned the corner they would know which of their number had betrayed them. As the figure stepped into the torchlight all three of them gasped. It was Sir Merrill. One of Arthurs best and most trusted knights. Before anyone could stop him, Arthur had drawn his sword and thrown himself at the surprised knight. "What the-",Sir Merrill jumped in fright as Arthur leaped toward him sword held high. But before the weapon could connect with Sir Merrill's chest, he had thrown out his hand before his and yelled; "Wáce ierlic!" Arthur was blasted off his feet. He flew across the room and crashed into the stone wall with a sickening crack. Slowly he slid down the wall, a trickle of blood coming from under his blonde hair. "Arthur!" Merlin and Alia shouted as they ran over to help their friend. Alia quickly laid her hands on either side of the Kings head and began to chant a healing spell. But suddenly she realised that Sir Merrill had disappeared. "Merlin you take over.",she told him, placing his hands where hers had been. Then, without another word, she scrambled to her feet and after the fleeing knight.

"Alia no! Come back!",Merlin called after her desperately. Within a spilt second he had made a decision. "I'm sorry Arthur.",he whispered, "We'll come back soon. I promise." With those words, he gently laid Arthur head on the floor and sprinted after the Druid girl.

Alia rounded bend after bend, each time hoping to catch up with the traitor but to no avail. She stopped suddenly, to regain her breath and a sly voice spoke behind her; "Were you looking for me?"