CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

Almost immediately, Gwen collapsed on the floor for the second time that day. For a few moments she writhed and twisted, clutching her throat while Arthur held her tightly in his strong arms. Then, all of a sudden, she fell completely still. Her mouth opened, and with her final breath the spirit that had been locked inside the Queen, left her. Like a long, golden ribbon it trailed from her mouth and out into the open. It glowed for one more second then went out and the dust dissolved into thin air. Merlin and Arthur both gave a cheer of triumph before realising that Gwen was no longer breathing. Arthur gave Merlin a desperate look and cried; "Now Merlin! Quickly! We haven't much time!" Collecting all his strength the young, but powerful sorcerer placed his small hands on the Queens chest began to chant. "Ic þe þurhhæle þin licsare mid þam sundorcræftas þære ealdaþ æ!" His blue eyes flashed a bright gold and then, all was still. Gwen didn't stir. The two men watched her, their worry increasing with every second. "What's wrong? Why isn't it working?", Arthur cried. "I, I don't know. It should have! I said it right!" Desperately, Merlin tried again. "Ic þe þurhhæle þin licsare mid þam sundorcræftas þære ealdaþ æ!" And again. "Ic þe þurhhæle þin licsare mid þam sundorcræftas þære ealdaþ æ!!!!" Nothing. "Gwen! Guinevere! Bring her back Merlin! You promised! I trusted you!!", the King yelled, his eyes brimming with tears. "I'm trying! It should be working! I, I can't..." Then, bursting through him came a sudden flash of rage. Uncontrollable, undiluted rage for the dark sorcerer who was the reason that one his closest friends now lay dead before him. Rage, for all the evil that he had had to witness. Rage, that he had failed. Lifting his head to the ceiling, Merlin spread his arms wide, opened his mouth and screamed once more; "Ic þe þurhhæle þin licsare mid þam sundorcræftas þære ealdaþ æ!" He felt his magic tear through him, burning him from the inside. He was Emrys. He was the most powerful sorcerer ever to live! Then, he was falling. Falling into darkness.

...............................................................................................................

"Merlin? Gaius, I think he's waking!" Merlins head hurt and when we slowly opened his eyes his vision was hazy. Slowly, Merlin turned his head to try and figure out where he was and why he was here. He tried to sit up, but pain shot through his body and he was forced to lie back down. With a jolt, everything came back to him. "Gwen. Gaius? Arthur? Is she alright? Is Gwen alright?", he groaned, trying in vain to pull himself upright. "Yes Merlin she's fine. You saved her.", came the low, soothing voice of the court physician, "You need rest. You used up quite a lot of you magic at once you know. Come now Merlin, sleep." The warlock breathed a sigh of relief. She was alive. Gwen was alright. The last thing he heard before drifting back into a dreamless slumber was Arthur's voice; "Thank you Merlin. I knew you wouldn't let me down."

...............................................................................................................

Merlin awoke hours later in almost total darkness.. This time, he managed to sit up, even though it still caused him to yelp in pain. "Ah Merlin you're awake.", Gaius, who had been reading by candlelight in a corner, bustled over holding a cup in his wrinkled hands. "Here, drink this. It will help to numb the pain. Gratefully, and with Gaius' help, Merlin drained the foul tasting mixture in one gulp. His eyes had adjusted to the dark by then and with a shock he noticed another figure asleep on a chair near his bed. Gaius saw where Merlin was staring and whispered; "He hasn't left you side since you saved Gwen. He's been sat there all night watching you and waiting for you to wake up. You, Merlin, are a lucky man to have a friend like that to stand by you." The young servant stared over to where Arthur was snoring peacefully in his chair. He realised then that not only had he stuck by Arthurs side for all those years, protected him from danger all those times and laughed with him about all those things but Arthur had stuck by his side too. And he was glad. He was so glad to have Arthur Pendragon, King of Albion and the worlds biggest clot pole as his friend, that the feeling overwhelmed him and he sank back into a deep sleep, a smile fixed upon his lips.