CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

"Merlin, gather the knights. Now!" Arthur stalked across the room swinging on his blood red cloak and fastening it at his throat. "Arthur hold on!", Merlin called after him, "You can't just walk in there and accuse your knights of treason! We need a plan." He dashed across the room and planted himself firmly in front of the door. Arthur glared at his manservant, breathing heavily, knowing he was right once again. The King straightened and turned to walk back across the room to sit on the large wooden chair at the head of the table. "Alright.", he said through gritted teeth, "Any ideas?"

After a few hours the three of them had come up with every thinkable way of discovering the identity of the traitor but each and every one of them wasn't good enough for Arthur. Then, Alia piped up again; "What if we told each of the knights the location of the keys to the palace vaults and-" "Have you gone mad? We can't to that!", came an outraged cry from Arthur. "He's right Alia. We can't just tell the traitor where the keys to the kingdoms treasure are!" Both of the men stared ranting on about what a terrible idea that was and how she could even suggest that. The Druid girl just rolled her eyes and yelled; "SHUT UP BOTH OF YOU!" Arthur and Merlin blinked at her in surprise but it worked. Both of them shut up immediately. "Just hear me out alight?", Alia continued, "So, we give each knight a false location of the keys and tell them that they have been chosen by Arthur to be the trusted one or something. Then all we have to do is hide the fake keys and wait to see who steals them." A few seconds passed before Merlin spoke; "That's actually quite a good idea." There was a bemused look on his pale face as he turned to ask Arthur; "Don't you think, Sire?" "Well umm, I ummm," ,Arthur stuttered, " I, I guess it is, yes." Merlin was grinning from ear to ear. Arthur Pendragon, the Once and Future King, had been outwitted by a fifteen year old Druid girl! Arthur shot Merlin a look and then said; "Right, we'd better get moving then. The sooner we catch this traitor the better." Arthur spat out the word traitor with such hatred that Merlin momentarily forgot all about the Kings defeat in planning.

The next day the trap was set. Now all they needed to do was, one by one, feed the knights the false information and wait.