CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE

With a grunt, Arthur sat up. Dazed, he stared around the room and tried to remember what he was doing down here. His head hurt and his back was sore but he didn't know why. All of a sudden it hit him. "Merlin! Alia!", he called, as he sprinted through the dark corridors of the palace dungeons. "Alia?! Merlin?!", he screamed again, franticly looking for any signs of a fight. "Arthur!", came a shout from nearby, "Arthur we're over here!" Following his friends voice, the King kept on running until he had raced around a corner and almost collided with Merlin, who was kneeling on the floor holding something protectively in his arms. "Merlin! Thank god you're alright! Where's Alia-", then he saw what Merlin was holding. "Alia! Merlin what... what happened?" "Arthur she needs to see Gaius!" Desperately, Merlin tried to lift Alia off the ground. But he was still too weak. Quickly, Arthur bent down and scooped the frail looking girl into his arms. Merlin had managed to get to his feet but it didn't look like he could stay there much longer. So Arthur gently readjusted Alia so he was draped over his shoulder, secured by one hand, and placed the other around Merlins waist. Carrying one friend and half dragging the other, Arthur swiftly made his way up to Gaius chambers.

"Gaius!", Arthur burst through the door of the physicians quarters and quickly placed Merlin on a chair and Alia on the patients bed. "Gaius!",he called again. "Yes, yes what's all this fuss?", the old man came busting in through the door right behind the King. First, he spotted Merlin sitting meekly on the chair. Then he saw the desperate look on Arthurs pale face. Finally he noticed Alia, lying unconscious on the bed. "My word!", he exclaimed, hobbling over the examine her, "What on earth happened?" "I don't know,",Arthur began,"but please tell me you can help her!" "Let me see... Hmm...", he grabbed a piece of cloth and quickly placed it over Alia's wound after pulling out the dagger. After a quick inspection he announced; "The wound is very deep indeed. It looks like it's pierced her stomach too.", after taking one look at Merlin and Arthurs horrified faces he continued; "But theres no need to panic! With this remedy,", he walked across the room and pulled a jar off the shelf, "some rest and a bit of extra help, "he glanced at Merlin," she'll be on her feet again in no time." At that, Arthur and Merlin shared a sigh of relief. "But first you two need to rest as well.",another glance at Merlin,"I'll take care of Alia while you do."

After a lot of protest from the two men and a lot of reassurance from Gaius, Arthur reluctantly headed off to bed. But Merlin dragged a chair across the room so that it was right up against the bed where Alia lay. Then he sat down and stared at Gaius defiantly. The old physician sighed but let Merlin stay where he was.

"Alright Merlin,",Gaius said a while later, "I'm going to bed now. Get some rest."

After a few minuets, Merlin heard his old friend snoring softly. He turned to look at the sleeping form of the young Druid girl he thought he knew and whispered; "Why didn't you tell me? I thought I was the only one left. How could you not tell me that you're a dragon lord?" His eyes began to close and the young warlock drifted off into an exhausted, dreamless sleep.