Date night

"Come on Amy, the kids are going to be fine, my mum and dad have got everything under control, just put your phone down and let's enjoy this evening together".

It had been 2 weeks since Amy and Rory talked about having an evening to themselves and Rory had just about managed to convince Amy to be away from the children for one night.

"Maybe I should ring to check in, make sure the twins have been fed and put to bed".

Rory parked the car outside the restaurant and sighed, "Amy.." he straightened his tie and put his jacket on, "I just want a nice meal with my wife, just the two of us okay, we haven't been able to do that in months".

"I know, but it's my first time away from the twins, your parents have never taken care of 4 young kids at the same time before, I just want to make sure they're okay".

"Amy we've been gone for 10 minutes, look, maybe coming out tonight was a mistake, you obviously aren't ready"

"But you've already booked the table".

"I know, but I don't want to sit there while you stare at your phone all evening".

"You're right, I'm sorry, phones going away" she put her phone in her purse, "okay, let's have this date". She got out the car and Rory did the same.

It was in the middle of the meal and Rory had quickly gone to the bathroom, when he came back he saw Amy on her phone texting. He sat back down and looked at her, "are you texting my mum?"

"No I'm not".

"Then who are you texting?"

"Your dad".

"Don't be funny Amy"

"I'm sorry okay, I just got really worried, you can't blame me for worrying about our children".

"I don't, I blame myself for thinking that I could just have one nice night with my wife, just the two of us, no kids to distract us, I even booked a hotel room for the night, but forget it, let's just go home".

"Don't have a go at me Rory, you're making me feel bad for worrying about our children".

"But there's nothing to worry about, my parents are fine, all the kids are probably in bed asleep".

"You don't know what it's like, you've been away from the kids at work, I haven't"

"Yeah and it's stopped us from being alone together".

Amy looked down and sighed, "I'm sorry Rory, I want to be alone with you, but I've messed up the first date we've had together in months".

He sighed again, "let's just finish our meal and go home"

Amy nodded still looking down, tearing up slightly.

"Amy are you crying?" He went round to her side of the table and knelt down next to her, "hey, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to have a go, I just miss being alone with you that's all" he stroked her hand.

She looked down at him, "I just feel like a really terrible wife"

"You're not a terrible wife, you're a fantastic one, and a fantastic mother as well, you not being ready to be away from them just shows how much you love them".

She smiled slightly and kissed him, "I love you"

"I love you too".

"Do you umm.. still want to go to the hotel after?" She handed him her phone, "no distractions".

He smiled and nodded, going back to his seat to finish his dinner.