The fire

Amy had been upstairs with Kyle who was off school sick, all the other kids were at school or nursery, when downstairs had caught fire.

The fire quickly spread to the stairs so she called the fire brigade and waited in the bathroom with Kyle, the window open. As soon as the fire brigade came and got Kyle out of the window and to safety, there was an explosion.

Rory sat in the hospital room, stroking his wife's hand. 2 weeks she had been in the coma, he just wanted to hear her speak, to see her smile. The doctors said they were going to start trying to wake her up in a minute and he wanted to be there when they did.

She responded when they tried waking her and she opened her eyes for a few seconds before closing them again.

"Well that's a good sign, she's definitely improving, it's going to take a couple of days for her to fully wake up though" the doctor looked at Rory who looked back at him.

"But there's going to be side effects to waking up from a coma though, I've read about it online, you have to re teach them how to walk and talk"

"In most cases you do yes, In Amy's case you will have to, but I know you Rory, you can get through anything".

"How am I meant to look after four kids, work and look after my wife as well?"

"You'll figure it out Rory, you always do, I'll go and get a leaflet about it, I'll be right back" he left the room and Rory looked back at Amy, stroking her hand again.

"Hey, it's me, I really miss you Amy, the children miss you, and I know it's going to be hard when you wake up, but we'll get through it, I promise" he leant down kissing her forehead and felt her very gently squeeze his hand, opening her eyes slightly before closing them again.