Chapter 8: Birthday Suprise

I wake up the next morning bright and early. Around 7. Ready to have a good birthday.

I'm 17 now. In one year I'll be 18 and then I can go to college. Get away from everything.

And Nathan's coming over. And so is Cayla. And even though my dad can't be here he'll still visit soon.

I get up and put on a cute spring floral dress that's a few inches above my knee and finish it off with a pair of tan ballet flats.

Then I curl my hair and out a bow in it. The only day I'll try to look pretty. And finally I put on some lip gloss.

The I go downstairs and make myself some coffee and oatmeal. While I'm eating my meal I realize that's its 8:30.

I get out my phone and text Nathan. I tell him he can come over around 3.

But he doesn't answer. What if he changed his mind? What if he's not coming?

I take a deep breathe and stop worrying. I'm being stupid. I should just finish my breakfast.

He'll come if he says he will. He's never lied to me or done anything to betray my trust. He'll be here.

After I'm done eating I go and sit down on the couch. Suddenly my phone rings.

Its my dad so I answer it

"Hello"

"Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday dear Aly, happy birthday to you!!!!" I laugh as my dad sings happy birthday to me

"Aww thanks Daddy!! I miss you!! I wish you could be here"

"I don't"

"Wait what?"

"Turn around" I hear a voice behind me

"Daddy!!!"

I jump up and give him a hug

"You're here!! I can't believe it!! You came!!!"

"Of course I did. I would never miss your birthday. It was the happiest day of my life"

I smile and roll my eyes at his cheesy remark.

"But if you'll excuse me I have to run to the store to pick up your cake. I just wanted to see you first. I'll be back in an hour"

"An hour?" I'm confused why would it take an hour to get my cake...

Then it hits me!! He's going to my favorite cake place it takes 30 minutes to get there.

"You didn't!!"

"I did,anything for my little girl."

"Dad I'm not little!! I'm 17!"

"Nonsense! You'll always be my baby"

He kissed me goodbye and heads out the door.

I smile and sit down again. I check the time realizing its already 10. Cayla should be here.

I call her assuming she slept in or something.

"Hello" a male voice that I don't regonize answers

"Um hi? Do you know where Cayla is?"

"Um mam actually I'm happy you called. Cayla has been in a car accident and she's unconscious. We don't have her pass code so we were waiting for a call. She's at the Pine Ride Hospital. Can you come to see her. Or call her parents?"

"I'll be there soon and her password is today's date. Bye" I say this in a rush.

I grab my keys and run to my car. I can't believe this. She has to be ok. She has to be. I slam on the gas and head toward the hospital.
**
Finally I get there. I park my car and sprint inside.

I walk up to the desk tell the lady I'm here for Cayla and she asks me what's my relation.

"I'm her sister" I lie without thinking knowing that only family can go see her

She points me in the right direction and once again I start running.

She has to live. She just has to. If she doesn't then I can't help but think this is all my fault.

When I arrive at her room there is a doctor standing at the door.

"Hello are you here for Cayla?"

"Yes I'm the girl you talked to on the phone" I say breathless

"Yes I remember and your name is?"

"Alison"

"Alright Alison, well your friend Cayla is currently in a coma and we don't know how long it will last. She got in a huge crash and she landed in a lake. If someone else didn't see the crash she would be dead."

I just stand there. Tears slowly start rolling down my cheeks.

"Is she is she gonna be okay" I say in between tears. I realize that I sound like a child but I don't care.

I just want my friend to be ok. I need her to live. She's always been there for me always.

"We're going to do the best we can. For now all we can do is hope."

I nodded my head and walked into the room where she was sitting.

I slowly walked over to the wall by her bed, slid down the wall and sat down.

And I just stayed like that until her parents came in.

"Aly" they both said crying

I walked over to them and we hugged. We just sat there holding each other. Hoping she would be ok. Just hoping.

After we broke apart I walked out to eat something giving them a few minutes alone with there daughter.

I went to a nearby Chinese restaurant and ordered some takeout.

When it was done I brought it back to the hospital. Cayals parents have always love Chinese.

And they probably won't be leaving any time soon. They have to eat eventually.

When I got back to the room they were in the same position I left them. Sitting on the edge of the hospital bed.

I walked over touched her moms shoulder and set down the food.

"Thank you Alison. Just thank you for being here."

I just smiled and sat down with them. We stayed like that for a half hour.

Just eating in silence. Sitting together.

Soon the doctor came in and said I should go home but her parents could stay.

I got up gave them hugs and started walking out the door.

Right before I was gone Cayla's mom called after me "Oh and Alison I almost forgot Happy Birthday"

Ok so that's is for this chapter. What do you think will happen? Leave a comment and vote!! Thanks for reading :)