Chaper 22: Doubts

I know you're probably wondering how I realized the similarities between rumors and wildfires. These next few parts will clear up how I realized that. And how in a weird way Jessica showed me.
**

I wake up on something damp. When I open my eyes I see wood and remember I'm at Cayla's. Checking my phone, the time reads 5am.

Groaning I get up and climb down the stairs. I go around her house not wanting to set off her alarm and head to my car.

I must have fallen asleep last night while me and Cayla sat there. I'm still tired but I have to leave now to make it to school in time. So with one last yawn I drive off towards my house.

When I get there I jump in the shower and wash my hair quickly. Then I put my hair in a ponytail, brush my teeth, and get dressed. I run downstairs knowing that I'm almost late. Grabbing a fruit bowl and a plastic spoon I begin running for the second time this morning.

My engine roars to life and I drive to school. Then I make my way to my first period not having to completely rush just walk fast. I get there with 10 seconds to spare but my crazy teacher still says something.

"Alison, let's not make a habit of almost being late. Bad habits are hard to overcome" she's probably hinting about all of the "cheating" she thinks I'm guilty of. As if.

I slide into my desk and begin following along with the lesson. Everything she is saying I disagree with. She believes that the townspeople are right. That she should be shamed.

That is completely wrong. How can she say that?

Deciding I'm done listening I zone her out for the rest of the class trying to look like I'm listening.

When the bell rings I'm grateful to be out of this classroom. I'm the first person to walk out the door.

When I get to fourth period I am called to Mrs.C's desk with Jessica.

"Have you two decided what you will be using for your project?"

My mind goes blank. I forgot about the project. All about it. Thinking of last night an idea pops into my head.

"What would we do if we were leaning towards lighting causing fire?"

She looks up and thinks for a moment "How about wildfires?"

"Wildfires?"

"Yes, it's a very interesting topic and no one else has ever chosen it. It would be a great idea. Don't you think?"

I nod "Actually I like that idea a lot" I face Jessica "What do you think?"

"I think it's perfect" she's acting fake right now "We should totally get together after school!"

"Sure" I look down and we walk to our seats

I almost say something to her but I don't. I just can't. All I can think off is the pain she's caused me mentally and physically.

It still hurts that I don't know what I did to her. She doesn't have a reason to hate me she just does. But she must have a reason. But I don't know it.

I want to cry thinking about all of this so I stop and let my mind wander to the project.

I begin to think of ideas for a presentation. I could make a model forest on fire. And then I could put a lighting bolt in the sky. But I don't really know. Maybe something else will come to me.

The bell rings and I get up to go on with my day.
**

After I'm done for the day I head home to take a nap before visiting Nathan.