Chapter 29: Thanksgiving

Two days after my night with Cayla its thanksgiving. I completely forgot about this holiday until yesterday. I haven't seen my dad so I don't know what I am going to do.

Nathan is with his family and Cayla with hers. As for me, well I don't really have much of a family. I have my dad and that's all. My mom never talked to her parents and my grandpa per my dad is too sick to visit. He has something with his lungs from smoking,
I haven't seen him in a while. Not since my moms funeral. He and I used to be close, but I guess it all faded away with time. We didn't keep in touch. Which is partially my fault. I shut people out after my mom.

I sigh and get up off the couch where I was staring off into space. Then I walk over to the kitchen and grab the landline, which I never understood why we had this. I call my dads cell but there is no response. Then I decide to change things up and make another call.

After three rings there is an answer "Hello" whispers a raspy voice

"Grandpa?" I say tears swelling to my eyes

"Alison? Is that you sweetie" my grandpas voice swells with hope

"Um yes, its me" I choke out not able to contain my tears

I don't know what it is. I just miss him. We used to laugh and talk all the time. Its just weird suddenly hearing his voice again.

"Alison! How are you! I haven't heard from you since..... Well you know" he says after a pause

"I'm...." I pause thinking about the end of that sentence. "I'm actually not doing too well." I whisper

"Awe well my dear, you can tell your old papa anything"

I smile to myself and sit down for a long talk.
**

"Alison, the only thing left to say is, just be yourself. Don't be ashamed of what those bullies have made you seem. You're not what they say. And that's what matters. You obviously have a good man and a great friend in your life. They are the only people who's opinion should matter. Not the others. You're beautiful, smart and very strong. And as for your father, well he's going through a lot too. Just have some sympathy. But I will be having a long talk with my son. " my papa gives me this advice after I told him evething that has been happening.

I sniffle a little " Thank you papa. I love you so much and I miss you"

"Aly my dear,I love you more. Don't you ever forget.Now I don't know how much longer I have left in this world. I'm very sick. But I do know that I want to see you before I leave. And I won't be giving on my health until I do. So please come visit. " he sounds so contempt

"Papa? How can you be so okay with dying?"

There's a small pause before I receive a confident answer "Because I have lived. I've fallen in love. I've had a son and a beautiful grand daughter. I've seen so many things and eventually we all must take our last breathe. And I am happy, happy with my life"

I smile at this thought and say my last goodbye "Bye papa, I love you"

"I love you too" we both hang up

I love you too. I knew he would say that. Ever since he got sick when I was younger he would always say I love you. All the time. So if he died I know I would be sad, but I would also be happy. Because I know that he loves me.
**

I have moved from the kitchen to the coutch where I am eating pizza. I yawn as I think about my thanksgiving in the past, back when my mom was here.

"Alison! Let's go! We have cleaning and cooking!" My mom would always yell at me to help

I'd sigh and walk downstairs into our old kitchen. "Alright mom"

She see me and right away start handing me things and giving me chores. When I would finally finish there'd always be more.

And then we'd wai. Wait for the turkey to finish. It was always pur favorite part. We would sit on the barstools and watch the turkey cook. While we watched we'd share what we were thankful about.

"I'm thankful for air conditioning" that's was always my first response

"I'm thankful for plumbing" my mom response

"Water"

"Showers"

"Food!"

"Popcorn!"

We'd go back and forth listing millions of things

I remember one time I said "I'm thankful for things to be thankful for"

She laughed and answered " You mean having a daughter like you"

"Or a mother like you"

We both smiled until my dad interrupted from behind us grabbing us both in for a hug "Or having two amazing ladies in my life"

We all laughed staying like that for a few minutes until my mother screeched,realizing that the turkey was burning. That was the best Thanksgiving ever.

As I sit here on the couch I begin to cry, longing for the past. I feel alone again. My dads not answering, my papas sick, and my mom is gone.

Happy Thanksgiving to me.

Happy Thanksgiving to all the Americans! Have a good holiday! :)