epilogue

On march 22nd, I graduated high school.

In a cap and gown and everything!

A gown I hemmed to little match the length of my boring dress, but a cap and gown nonetheless!

My parents, my grandma Noni, and Jesse and Maddie and Nate all showed up to the fancy building in the city that has my online school center on the 17th floor. It was grey and dull in there, I swear it's like all the saturation in the world got turned down and it wasn't the least bit festive, but that's where I got my diploma.

Handed to me in a Manila envelope.

But there it was.

Amara Nicole Santini
Windsor Class of 2015
diploma of completion

They brought flowers and champagne. And apparently, one of the bouquets was from Luke. My lover who I have not seen in a month and half. I almost cried.

congratulations!!!!
you're officially more successful than I am
good luck out there
I miss you
I love you - L

We all celebrated at a restaurant I love, my parents gifted me some sweet fancy jewelry and a vintage purse to replace the one that died in Melbourne. And for the record no I didn't tell them exactly how it died.

Nate bought flowers and cupcake from my favorite bakery in New York.

"Got them air lifted in the Lockwood chopper." He boasts.

"Aw Nate! You helped ruin the environment for me!" I boast.

"Anytime baby." He winks.

And after a couple seconds he asks, "You gonna have one or just look at em?"

He caught me. I was going to just stare.

"Well. Now it'd be a crime not to have one."

"Just! One!" My mom chirps in her sing song voice to try and conceal how dead serious she's being.

But then, my dad holds onto her hand and shakes his head. I smile at him. Better late than never I guess. And after all, we're celebrating.

Noni gifted me a vintage round suitcase, an eggshell leather sweet little piece that was hers in the 60's.

"I got it for my 17th birthday." She reminisces.

"Really?" I gasp.

"Yes. Auntie Vera gave it to me as my gift. The first place I ever took it was London in '66. Treat it kindly." She says, sipping her martini and stroking my hair.

"Ooh, when you and gramps lived there?"

"Hold on pause everything. You lived where? And when?" Jesse asks.

"London. 1968."

"That is so cool." Jesse sighs in admiration that I definitely understand.

"Check the inseam."

I furrow my brows. Open it up. And I have to hold back from screaming in this restaurant and causing a little scene. But my eyes widen and I hug and kiss my grandma again.

It's Gucci. Vintage Gucci. Back when it was just a leather goods store in Italy my great aunt Vera liked to frequent. My friends have to hold back their excitement when they peak in the case to see what the big fuss is about.

When my parents weren't listening, she whispered something to me about how I should travel. While I'm young. Do do what I want. No matter what that means. It was the single most encouraging thing I've heard all day. Because she's not talking about Yale or the upcoming summer internship at the label. She's talking about what I want. After all, she's the one that bought me my first sewing machine.