/sixteen/

/a morning of firsts/

/amara/

When I woke up to the sound of construction it didn't really bother me. It's still grey out, still early. I drank more than my fair share last night, it always wakes me up before I'm due for it when I indulge.

Memories from last night flood my whole body. My feet kinda hurt, from running and jumping turnstiles in boots I don't get to wear enough. My hair smells like smoke. My vision's all blurry since I slept with my contacts on.

I look down at the shirt I'm wearing, that Luke tossed me.

Right, Luke.

His arm's lazily dangling over my stomach.

After we, you know, it took me a few minutes to collect myself. He told me I didn't have to worry about taking care of him and he excused himself to the bathroom while I made tea. It was hard, I could barely even walk.

I had Luke's clothes from before with me in my bag from the Hampton's that I snuck in after Francesca packed it for me. I gave them back so he'd have something to sleep in.

Sleep.

We slept in the same bed.

We had tea and I explained the apartment. He told me about everything I missed since I saw him last. It was way better than FaceTime. We talked until we fell asleep, in person.

I turn my head to the left, and see Luke's peaceful sleeping face, lips slightly hanging open and letting out tiny snores.

He's got a bit of light freckles on his cheekbones and the bridge of his nose.

I'm not allowed to stare that long, someone's sliding the door open.

It's Maddie tip toeing inside, with her makeup from last night smudged around her eyes. She shook a bottle of Advil at me, and held a can of ginger ale in her other hand.

"You're a regular mother Theresa." I whisper.

"I didn't even know you were up." she whispers back, leaving my breakfast on the nightstand.

"Surprise, bitch."

"I wanted you to think it was the hangover fairy." She chuckles.

I can feel her eyeing my exposed leg I've kicked out from under the duvet for some air.

"I'm not even going to ask," she whispers, leaving the room again.

I try to untangle myself from Luke, who I'm just now noticing got rid of his shirt at some point during the night. I've never seen him like this, so exposed. I try to look away as I sit up in bed, so as not to invade his privacy.

I always thought it'd be weird sleeping with a boy in the same bed. But with Luke, it was like I couldn't get to sleep until I was tucked tightly away in his arms in just the right position.

It's funny we sort of ended up this way. His arm over my stomach, him sleeping on his stomach with his arms stretched out.

Luke started rustling, letting out a groan, "No, come back."

His voice was much raspier than normal, brows furrowed and refusing to open his eyes.

"Go back to sleep." He says.

"I'm up, like, up up, it's too late." I say.

I reach for the ginger ale, struggling to crack it open with my long nails in the way.