Chapter Five

•Claire's POV•

I read and signed the last paper before faxing it to Riley. I had lots of meetings today, but I had to cancel them because I was feeling sick. This nauseous feeling just wouldn't go away. I carefully sat at the end of the bed and looked at Caiden's peaceful sleeping form. It was only eight in the morning and I knew I shouldn't disturb him. He was probably going to have a hangover since all he did was drink coffee sized cups of whiskey while he was at work.

I still didn't talk to him about this whole going undercover thing, but I thought I should wait till today when he wasn't drunk.

"Hey." Caiden said in his sexy morning voice, while slowly sitting up and running his hand through his hair. The blanket fell down on his lap making my eyes immediately go to his bare chest. I swear for being thirty one years old he still looks like he was in his early twenties.

"You know drinking till you almost pass out isn't going to help you solve your problems," I told him looking away and staring at the wall.

"But it at least helps me forget them and it gets me away from my slutty girlfriend." He said getting out of bed and leaving the room. I followed him out while trying to ignore the nauseous feeling forming at the pit of my stomach for the third time since I woke up. He was doing it again. We were fine for years and now he's returning to his old ways. He only called me a slut to try to get me mad at him. Why can't he just realize that I care for him? It's not impossible for someone to love him.

"I'll keep saying this until the time comes where I take my last breath. You can't go around pushing everyone out your life who tries to get close to you." I repeated. I've said those words to him a million times, but he just never listens to me."Especially not now. I love you and if you don't feel the same way or even if you feel that the connection we have disappeared I will still love you. You just need to finally realize it's really not impossible for someone to love you." I told him frowning.

"I'm not going to let you do this to yourself again even if you leave me. Dr. Miller helped you with these problems. She helped you open up again and I'm not going to sit here and let your guy's hard work go down the drain!"

He paused in the hallway and faced me. Letting his dark chuckle sound throughout the house as he shook his head." You seriously are fucking blind aren't you? I love you and that's the issue. You're my whole world Claire Martez. I can't sleep or breath at the thought of you with someone else. I feel like my world is ending just at the thought of you leaving me." He told me running his hand through his hair before clenching it tightly. After a minute he released his hair and put his hand on his heart.

"In here has always been a block of ice that never melts. Dr. Miller only helped me realize that it's okay to care. Everything else is the same. I still have the terrible memories of my childhood, I still hate my father for marrying my captors sister, I still hate my parents for not caring, I still hate woman for being awful, manipulating and deceiving people. You are the only one I feel different about. You are the exception to those thoughts. You broke that ice and forced your way in and ever since then you have been my world. You never gave up on me and thats always what meant the most to me. I'm still a cold hearted asshole just I try not to be around you." He said still standing a few feet away from me. My eyes started to tear up a little at his words. I should've known nothing changed. He was still so hurt inside. He doesn't deserve this.

"But that's the difference between the two of us. You're my world, but I'm not yours." His voice was now void of emotion as he turned his back to me.

"Don't you dare say that." I said shaking my head and walking so I was standing right in front of him.

"Caiden, I spent four or five years worrying that one day I'd wake up and you'd be gone, so don't you dare act like I don't care about you. I love you and I care so much for you. That's why I just wish you would just ask me to marry you. I want something that tells the world that I'm yours and you're mine." I told him before covering my mouth. I shouldn't of mention marriage. That was such a stupid mistake I probably just messed up everything.