Chapter Twenty-Five

•Riley's POV•

You know dying is different from what most people think. Yes, you sit there and you think about everything in your life that you should've done and stuff that you should've changed. You think about how incomplete your life is for being so young still. You find that you continue to keep pushing yourself to open your eyes one last time, but there's just a wall there that refuses to let you.

All you wanted was to say was your goodbyes.

Was that really too much to ask?

The darkness wasn't something I was ever afraid of. Even as a child, I'd just brush it off because I knew my parents would always be there for me if something went wrong. They were like superheroes in a twelve-year-old's eyes, yet they died so I wasn't sure why these images, this scene was all coming back to me as I die.

Maybe it's because my supposed fate that night never actually happened. I was supposed to die.

Yet I didn't.

Boom.

I watched as my twelve-year-old self slowly slipped out of bed and headed to the door. She slowly opened the wooden door and peeked her head out.

Boom.

The sound came again causing her to jump. I felt the hairs on my arms stand up as I remembered how the fear filled my body and I for once in my life felt truly scared.

"Mommy? Daddy?" She or well, I guess I whispered, running over to my parent's bedroom door. I opened it to see the bed looking untouched. I quietly went down the stairs, ignoring the usual creaking sound it made.

I reached the end of the stairs and saw the scene slowly unfolding. My dad slammed his elbow into a man's throat causing him to hit a wall from the force. Before he could even react ten more men came rushing into the house all in black suits and masks. My mom went back to back with my dad and I felt myself wanting to go save them.

They always saved me from everything, yet I couldn't return the favor as my feet stayed planted on the ground.

I watched with tear filled eyes as they did their best to fight off the men, but they couldn't stop them as one shot my father in the head. I placed my hand to my mouth, my body almost collapsing as I fell, grabbing onto the rail on the stairs to help me. My twelve-year-old self just watched with confused eyes as my mom went to help my dad. She soon was shot too. Her body fell on top of his, both of them creating a pool of blood. A man noticed my presence and nudged the other guy, whispering something to him in Russian.

"No, wait she's not your target. Only they were. They broke the rules." An unknown man at the time said walking into the house, his hands up in surrender. I turned my head to the side curiously at his words. I never remembered that there was this many men and I never remembered Cole's words until now.

"What are you going to do with her?" The man with his gun out in the open asked as he took off his mask.

"I'll train her. She'll be the best this agency will ever see." Cole said walking over to my twelve-year-old self who was still frozen on the stairs. "You all are dismissed." He ordered and the men filed out of the house.

He bent down in front of me, going to my eye level."Hi, sweetie. I'm Cole, I'm going to take care of you from now on."

"What happened to my mom and dad?" I said flinching as he went to grab my hand.

"Someone bad got them. Don't worry, I'll take care of them." He said lying through his teeth. I watched as my younger self only nodded and walked off with him.