Chapter Twenty-Two

Some time in the future

The smell of a cigarette is an interesting thing. As its lit you watch as the end turns into a red ember. You bring the white stick to your lips and inhale the poison. The white smoke leaves your lips shortly after before a new wave eventually returns once again as the white stick of addiction is brought back. Every time you inhale the poison your lungs die a little each time. It's saddening really.

"She's dying." Another voice whispered, interrupting my thoughts. She looked down at the figure in my lap.

"Yes." I said just as softly, running my hands through her hair.

"How are we going to tell him?" She asked kneeling down next to me.

"I don't know, but he won't forgive us." I said lightly shaking my head.

"We need to get out of here." She told me, but I couldn't get myself to move.

"We're not leaving her here! She deserves better than this."

"We'll come back for her. Take her ring. He's going to want proof. I can't see him believing us without it." She told me and I shakily moved my bloody hand to clutch onto hers. I slid the beautiful, diamond ring off her finger and clutched it into my right hand. I can't lose this.

"I'm so sorry." I whispered in her ear as I lightly set her body down on the concrete and then wiped off the excess tears on my face. Now wasn't the time to mourn.

"Listen, she became one of my good friends. I love her too; remember, you're doing the right thing."

"She's not completely dead yet. By leaving her here we are killing her." I snapped.

"Since when have you had a problem with killing?" Clover said rolling her eyes."I mean this is partly your fault. You joined this all by yourself."

I felt my fists clench knowing she was right.

I shook my head, ready to make a retort but she cut in again."You see, it's funny how you try so hard to make yourself seem like a savior right now, yet here you are. Blood coating every inch of you; all the once black clothes are now red. You're a killer." She snapped while pointing a finger at me.

"Jesse is a killer and he won't stop until you all are dead!" I hissed back.

"Until we're all dead." She repeated as she nodded her head slowly, tears slowly welling up in her eyes."I don't know if you've realized it, but he has that mission about halfway completed."

"Wait, she's not the first one of you three to die?" I asked, looking down at the elegant ring in my hand. How can Jesse actually be succeeding?

She shook her head,"No one is officially dead, but this is the second one that's just on the brink." Clover informed me and I felt my breath hitch in my throat.

"I didn't mean for this all to happen." I said shaking my head.

"I need to see her. I owe her and if she does die I don't know what I'll do." I said shaking my head and Clover looked around the room.

"We don't have time for this. If we want to get out of here alive then we need to get going." Her phone rung throughout the room.