Why?

*Annabelle's P.O.V.*

After Merlin washed the vegetables out of his hair we sat at the table to eat our lunch. Gaius came towards us, carrying a bowl in his hand.
"Do you want some vegetables with that?" he asked Merlin with a smirk. Merlin and I both chuckled.
"I know you're still angry with me." Merlin said to Gaius and me. I smiled and shook my head.
"I'm not anymore. I think you learned your lesson by sitting in the stocks." I told him with a slight chuckle. He smiled at me, and then looked over to Gaius.
"Your mother asked me to look after you two." He said and we nodded.
"Yes." Merlin said quietly more to himself than to me and Gaius.
"What did your mother say to you about your gifts?" Gaius asked us.
"That we were... Special?" I said, with a little smile on my face.
"You are special." He told us. "Unlike some of which I have seen before." I looked at him.
"What do you mean?" I asked, not really knowing if I wanted to hear the answer.
"Well..." Gaius started nonchalantly. "Magic requires incantations, spells that take years to study, what I saw you two do was... Elemental instinct." Merlin and I nodded.
"What's the point if it can't be used?" My brother asked.
"Ah that, I do not know... You are a question that has never been posed before... Especially you, Anna." My head shot up.
"What?" I chocked out.
"Well, as far as what I saw your magic is stronger than Merlin's. Even when you two saved my life, you were the one doing most of the work." He told me. " How did you do that?"
"I don't know... That's what instinct told me to do." I shrugged in reply. Gaius nodded.
"You see? You are using magic for good on instinct. A very powerful magic. You could probably save many more people from an even greater danger." He told me, and I nodded slowly.
"Did you ever study magic?" I asked, desperately wanting to know the answer. I mean, if he knew so much about it, he must have studied it at some point.
"Uther banned all such work 20 years ago." He said with a little frown.
"Why?" Merlin and I exclaimed. Why would someone ban magic. It's beautiful if you know how to use it.
"People used magic for the wrong at that time. It threw the natural order into chaos." He explained. "Uther made it his mission to destroy everything from back then. Even the dragons." We looked at him in shock.
"What-All of them?" I asked shocked.
"There was one dragon he chose not to kill. He kept it as an example. He imprisoned it in a cave, deep beneath the castle... Where no one can free it." I took all these news to heart. We really have to be careful, now that we live in the castle. If the King hates magic so much, I don't think it's very safe for us in here. "Ah, eat up. When you finish, I need you two to take a preparation to Lady Helen, she needs it for her voice." We both nodded, and started eating. But I couldn't help thinking about everything that Gaius told us. What's going to happen - if we even survive? How are we supposed to live here if we can't be ourselves?