In Hiding

*Annabelle's P.O.V.*

    I played with my soup, not having any appetite to eat after what I saw happen to that Druid, Cerdan. Merlin and I were now in Gaius's head quarters, meant to eat our lunch. I was reluctant to leave the Druid boy's side, but we don't want to arise any suspicion and have to act normal, so we had to go for lunch. Besides, I trusted Morgana with the boy, knowing that she and Gwen will take care of him as best as they can. But I still didn't want to leave him. I feel a connection to him. I don't know why, but I do.
"Do you know much about the Druids?" Merlin asked Gaius, snapping me out of my confusing thoughts.
"Very little." Gaius replied, not looking up from the papers he was filling out. "They're very secretive people. Especially now when they're being hunted by Uther." I looked down, not willing to believe that if Uther found the boy in Morgana's chambers, he would execute him. The King may be cruel, but is it possible for someone to be heartless enough to kill a child? "Merlin. Annabelle." Gaius suddenly pointed his finger at us, looking at us seriously. "Please tell me you two haven't got yourselves mixed up in this."
"Us? No. Mixed up in what?" Merlin lied terribly, making me sigh inwardly. We won't get away with this.
"For someone with such a big secret, you are a terrible liar, my boy." Gaius said, making me nod a little. It's true. Merlin is a terrible liar. He never even once succeeded in lying to me.
"Well, we haven't done anything." Merlin stated, putting down his spoon. Gaius sighed, and then looked at me.
"Annabelle." He said seriously, begging me silently to tell the truth. I sighed, putting my spoon down. We won't get away with this either way, so I might as well tell Gaius the truth. Or at least a part of it.
"We heard the boy calling out." I admitted. "I mean, he was absolutely nowhere to be seen, but we could hear him as clearly as if he was standing right next to us. It was like he was inside our minds." I explained.
"It's an ability. The Druids look for children with such gifts to serve as apprentices." Gaius explained briefly, before looking at us seriously. "While they're searching for this boy, you two must be especially careful. Otherwise it will be your heads on the chopping blocks." He warned, and Merlin smiled a little.
"Well, I'm always careful." He said, looking at me pointedly, making me roll my eyes, before looking back at Gaius. "You know me."
"Yes, Merlin." Gaius agreed. "Unfortunately, I do." He said, making me chuckle despite my bad mood. And that's what I love about Gaius. He can always make me smile. "When it comes to choosing between you and Anna, your sister is definitely more careful in her decisions, which is why I always have to look out for your life." Gaius said, making Merlin roll his eyes slightly.

*40 minutes later*

    As soon as I finished my lunch, I made an excuse of having to help Morgana with something, which technically wasn't a lie, before nearly running to her chambers.
"How is he?" I asked as soon as I entered.
"He's sleeping." My best friend replied after she closed the door behind me. "He's very pale." She added as she lead me to the boy. "I worry he may have lost a lot of blood." We then stopped by the curtain that shielded the boy, and looked down at him. Morgana was right. He was pale, way too pale, and was breathing heavily as he slept. There were drops of sweat on his forehead and chest.
"Has he said anything?" I asked, and Morgana shook her head, not picking up her gaze from the boy.
"Nothing." She answered, before looking at me. "He won't even tell me his name."
"Oh, by the way." I started, making her look at me once again, seeing as she looked at the boy as soon as she finished her sentence. "I didn't have time to thank you."
"For what?"
"Well, you saved the boy's life, for one." I started, before smiling a little. "And besides that, you also saved mine and Merlin's lives. If we were caught trying to help that boy, Uther would execute us."
"I wouldn't let my best friend and her brother get killed." Morgana said, making me smile thankfully. "Nor would I see an innocent child executed." I smiled. "What harm has he ever done anyone?" She asked no one in particular, looking down at the boy once again.
"Well, Uther believes he has magic, and that is a good enough reason for him." I replied.
"Uther's wrong." Morgana said with confidence in her voice.
"Do you really believe that?" I asked, and Morgana looked deep in thought.
"What if... What if magic isn't something you choose?" She wondered. "What if it chooses you?" I smiled a little. She practically summarized in one sentence the entire crazy situation my brother and I got ourselves in the first day we came to Camelot. "Why are you and Merlin helping him?" I looked up, hearing the question.
"I would rather die than let an innocent person get killed." I replied truthfully. "Especially an innocent child." Morgana smiled at me, before both of our gazes fell to the boy. "What do you think we should do?" I asked. "I mean, he can't stay here for the rest of his life. It's too dangerous for him to stay in here another hour."
"We have to find a way to get him back to his people." Morgana replied, before we both looked down at the boy once again.