Le Morte d'Arthur

*Annabelle's P.O.V.*

I sniffled quietly before taking a deep breath in order to prevent myself from showing any weakness as I helped Merlin saddle a horse he will be taking for his journey to the Isle of the Blessed.

"Here." Gaius said as he approached us, handing Merlin a scroll of parchment. "You'll need a map." My brother quickly unrolled the map, giving it a quick glance, before nodding thankfully and putting it in his bag. "And I'm going to give you this." Gaius said, holding out a very small, dark brown package to Merlin. I stepped closer to the two of them as Gaius looked at Merlin with soft, fatherly eyes while he unwrapped the package. "My mother gave it to me." I looked down at the small object in Merlin's hand. "It's a rabbit's foot."

"For protection." I nodded as I frowned sadly, before quickly lightening up a bit to keep up the appearances.

"It was said to protect you from evil spirits." Gaius nodded, before grimacing slightly. "It's rubbish. I don't believe in superstition. I don't know why I gave it to you." He tried to take it back, but Merlin quickly pulled his hands back.

"No." He said, and I could see that this was the kind of moment my brother always wanted to have with our father... If we ever knew who he is. "I want it." Merlin said, before giving Gaius a small, soft smile, his eyes glistening ever so slightly. "Thank you." He said, putting the rabbit's foot in his bag, before releasing a breath. "You've got to keep Arthur alive until I get back." Merlin said, about to get on his horse, but I pulled him back and wrapped my arms around my neck, feeling the tears I desperately tried to hold back prickle my eyes. I heard Merlin release a soft sigh as he wrapped his arms around me tightly.

"I love you." I murmured as I pulled away, and my brother smiled at me sadly before leaning in to kiss my forehead.

"I love you, too."

*Evening*

I quietly opened the door to Arthur's chambers and proceeded to enter, but stopped quickly as I saw Gaius snoring in the chair beside Arthur's bed, where the unconscious Prince lied. I sighed softly, before knocking on the door, making Gaius jerk away.

"You should get some rest, Gaius." I said as I closed the door behind me, before walking over to my guardian and placing my hand on his shoulder.

"He must not be left alone." Gaius explained, referring to Arthur, and I nodded understandingly.

"I'll stay with him." I offered, and Gaius gave me a thankful nod before getting up from the chair. He then proceeded to walk out, but stopped and placed his hand on my shoulder and squeezed it comfortingly, knowing how much Merlin's decision effected me. I gave him a small smile in thanks, before bringing my gaze to Arthur as Gaius left the chambers quietly.

*Third Person's P.O.V.*

As soon as the Court Physician shut the doors behind him, Annabelle took the towel off of Prince Arthur's forehead, before rinsing it out in a bucket of water by the foot of the bed. She then sat down on the bed beside the pale and sweaty Arthur, and reached over, gently wiping his forehead.

"You're not going to die, Arthur." She said determinedly as she started to wipe Arthur's neck. "I know you won't. Because I know that one day... You will be King." She said the last part softly, gently wiping his chest and the area around his wound. "A greater king than your father could ever be." Annabelle then put her hand down, holding the towel in her lap, as she looked at the unconscious Prince. "It's what keeps me going. I know that you are going to live to be the man I have always seen inside you. I can see a Camelot that is fair and just. I can see a king whom people will love and be proud to call their sovereign." She spoke softly as she grabbed his limp and cold hand. "For the love of Camelot... You have to live." She then let the towel lay in her lap as she grabbed Arthur's hand with both of hers and brought it up to her lips. "Please... Live for me." She whispered, before placing a light kiss on his knuckles.