Victims

*Annabelle's P.O.V.*

    I watched with Merlin as Gaius knelt next to a victim in the town.
"Aren't you scared?" I asked, and Gaius looked up.
"Of what?"
"That you might catch whatever it is." I replied.
"I'm the Court Physician, Anna. This is part of my job." He explained, as Merlin and I squatted down on the other side of the body. "Most of the time there's nothing really to be scared of." I nodded in understanding but froze once Gaius turned the body over so that we had a perfect view of his face. It was ghostly pale with a hint of blue to it. All the veins were visible and the eyes were wide open, revealing them to be fogged with pale blue as well. I looked up at Gaius as he looked at Merlin and I.
"You were saying?" I asked, and he looked around.
"People mustn't see this. They will panic." Merlin and I quickly got up and looked around for something to cover the body with. Merlin quickly grabbed a green blanket as people passed by us. Merlin went over to the house near us and grabbed a cart. He and Gaius then lifted the body up and put it on the cart. We then decided to head back to Gaius's quarters.
    As we were getting closer to the castle, I  heard a familiar voice behind us.
"What're you doing?" I turned around along with Merlin and Gaius, and saw Gwen standing there with a bunch of white and purple flowers. She looked extremely pretty and happy today. She was radiating.
"Oh ah... Just moving something." My brother replied, lying terribly.
"Looks heavy." Gwen said, and Merlin turned to face her.
"Um it's nothing really. Um..." He trailed off as his eyes fell on the flowers Gwen was holding. "Someone got you flowers!" He exclaimed, with jealousy lacing through his voice.
"Oh!... No." She replied, shaking her head. I saw my brother relax, and Gwen looked at him. "Would you like one? A purple one." She said, and took a purple flower out of the bouquet and handed to him. "Purple suits you."  A giggle escaped my lips, and I quickly covered my mouth with my hand to muffle it. "Uh n-not that I'm saying that red doesn't suit you." I looked at Gaius, and he looked at me with a smirk. I quickly covered my mouth so that I wouldn't laugh out loud.
"Thanks, well uh..." Merlin trailed off as he looked at himself, probably trying to find a place to put that flower. He obviously couldn't find one, so he just put it in his scarf that was loosely tied around his neck. He smiled at Gwen and she returned it. "Uh see ya." He said, and grabbed the cart again.
"Bye." Gwen said with a dreamy smile. I giggled. Oh how I will tease her later. Merlin then started pushing the cart again, and Gaius and I followed. I then remembered something and turned back to Gwen.
"Oh Gwen! Could you please tell Morgana that I'll come a little later than usual? Gaius needs me right now, but I'll be there in about 30 minutes." She nodded in understanding, but I could see that she was still in daze after talking with my brother, so I walked closer and snapped my fingers in front of her face. She snapped out of it, and looked at me. She obviously didn't hear a word form what I said, so I just sighed and shook my head, and turned around following Gaius and Merlin back into the castle. Ah, young love.

*7 minutes later*

    I watched in anticipation as Gaius looked through his magnifying glass at thee man's, body's, victim's face.
"I've never seen anything like this before." He declared.
"Do you think it could be some kind of plague?" I asked.
"No, I fear that something like this could never come from nature." He replied, putting his magnifying glass down on the table. "But who has this kind of power?" I looked at him shocked.
"You think it's caused by magic?" Merlin and I both asked. Before he could reply we heard a knock on the door and turned to the sound.
"Merlin!" I recognized Arthur's voice as it rang from outside the door. Merlin sighed and went to open the door, but only a little so that the body couldn't be seen. Once he opened the door, I saw Arthur's handsome face from behind.
"Um, I'm on my way. Sorry I'm late." Merlin said with a smile.
"Don't worry. I'm getting used to it." I giggled, and Arthur peered through Merlin's shoulder to look at me. Once he saw me, he smiled and gave me a nod. I smiled back and curtsied. Arthur then turned to look at Merlin, and he obviously was going to say something, but stopped himself as his eyes fell on Merlin's scarf, where the flower that Gwen gave him still was.
"Oh, uh... Gwen. Uh she gave it to me." Merlin explained, and Arthur nodded. He then peered over Merlin's shoulder again, but this time they landed on Gaius.
"Tell Gaius my father wants to see him now." He said, and then gave me another glance and a smile before walking away.
"Okay." Merlin breathed out, and closed the door. He then turned around to face us. "Gaius-"
"I heard." Gaius cut him off.
"Then why couldn't you just tell him yourself?" Merlin asked, walking back to stand next to me.
"'Cause that's the way it is. You're a servant." Gaius replied.
"If he knew who I was, I would've done-"
"You're dead servant." This time it was I who cut him off. He looked at me and then back at Gaius.
"Right. Get this covered up." Gaius said, and Merlin looked at him.
"OI, I'm not your servant." Merlin said, and Gaius topped and looked at him.
"No you're my dogsbody. And Anna is my assistant. Come on, hurry up." Merlin gave him a small smile and then grabbed a sheet that was on the chair next to him, and covered the body. Gaius grabbed his medicine bag, and headed off to Uther with me hot on his heels, and Merlin following close behind.