The Poisoned Chalice

*Annabelle's P.O.V.*

I walked over to Gwen, only to see her laughing at something, or more particularly at someone. We were at the Banquet where the peace treaty between Camelot and Mercia was to be signed. That is why my dress was blue and red. Those were the formal colors of Mercia.
Once I came up to Gwen and saw who she was laughing at, I froze with my eyes wide and mouth hanging open. My brother was wearing the most hilarious outfit ever! Well, at least the hat. He was wearing the official ceremonial robes of the servants of Camelot, but the hat was absolutely ridiculous. You couldn't even see the hat because of all the feathers on it. I bit my lip to stop myself from laughing, whilst Gwen let out a chuckle, but quickly bit her lip.
"Nice hat, Merlin." I complimented trying to keep my laughter in.
"Yeah." Gwen agreed, trying to hold in her chuckles. "It suits you."
"Thanks." Merlin said, blushing. I smirked and elbowed Gwen lightly, causing her to look down and blush as well. I then saw my brother glaring at Arthur. I guess he is the one who made him wear this. Suddenly Merlin took off his hat, and started fixing his hair. Gwen and I looked at him weirdly, but he just kept staring at something, or someone, ahead. We followed his gaze, and I saw a beautiful Mercian handmaiden, with black hair, that were almost completely covered with a red turban, and radiant blue eyes. She stared at him as well, but then her gaze drifted over to me, and hardened noticibly. She stared at me as if she wanted to kill me by just looking at me. I looked at her, confused. What had I done to make her hate me so much? I was pulled out of my thoughts by Gwen's voice filled with jealousy.
"She's pretty, isn't she? For a handmaiden, I mean."
"She's pretty for a princess let alone a handmaiden." Merlin replied, not looking at her. Gwen gave a small forced smile and quickly looked away. Our attention then turned to Bayard of Mercia and Uther shaking hands after Uther finished signing the peace treaty. Everyone then stood up and we all started to clap. Gwen then quickly walked away to stand next to Gaius. I sighed and slapped Merlin at the back of his head. "Ow!" He groaned, and turned to look at me. "What was that for?!" He exclaimed, and I rolled my eyes at him.
"You are a complete idiot." I said, before turning around and walking away to stand next to Gwen and Gaius. I noticed Gwen looked a bit down, so I put a reassuring hand on her arm.
"People of Camelot." Bayard started. "For a great many years we have been mortal enemies. The blood of our men staines the ground from the walls of Camelot to the gates of Mercia." He said, walking over to stand in the middle of the room. "And though we remember the ones who have died, we mustn't allow anymore to join them. And as a proof of our good will, and our new found friendship," He gestured to Uther." I present the ceremonial goblets." A servant brought a wooden case, and Bayard took out a beautiful goblet. "To you, Uther." He then took out another goblet. "And to your son, Arthur. In the hope that our friendship may last. Tonight we toast a new beginning for our Peoples. We look forward to a future free of toils of war." He then gave the goblets to Arthur and Uther, and a servant came up and filled the with wine. Bayard then raised his own goblet in a toast. "To your health, Uther." Everyone now stood up and raised their goblets as well. "Arthur. The Lady Morgana." He then turned around in a circle and looked at everyone. "The People of Camelot."
"And to fallen warriors. On both sides." Uther added. Bayard nodded in agreement and everyone raised the goblets to their lips.
"STOP!! It's poisoned, don't drink it!!!" Merlin yelled, running back into the room. I didn't even notice he was gone until now. He quickly ran up to Arthur and took the goblet out of his hand.
"What?" Uther asked sharply, whilst Gaius walked up to stand beside his chair.
"Merlin, what are you doing?!" Arthur exclaimed.
"Bayard laced Arthur's goblet. With poison!" Merlin declared.
"This is an outrage!" Bayard growled, unsheathing his sword, quickly followed by the Knights of Camelot and Mercia.
"Order your men to put down their swords." Uther ordered as the Camelot guards ran in and circled Bayard with their weapons out. "You're outnumbered."
"I will not allow this insult to go unchallenged." Bayard growled, and Merlin faced Uther.
"On what grounds do you base this accusation?" Uther asked calmly.
"I'll handle this." Arthur said, walking around the table to stand next to Merlin. "Merlin, you idiot. We've been at the slow gin again." He tried to make my brother walk away, but was stopped by Uther's voice.
"Unless you want to be strung up, you will tell me, why you think it's poisoned. Now." He growled at my brother.
"He was seen lacing it." Merlin replied simply.
"By whom?" Merlin visibly swallowed hard.
"I can't say."
"I won't listen to this anymore." Bayard stated.
"Pass me the goblet." Uther demanded coming up to stand next to Arthur and he handed him the goblet. Uther examined it for a second before addressing Bayard, not lifting up his gaze. "If you're telling the truth-"
"I am." Bayard cut him off, and Uther lifted his haze to look at him.
"Then you have nothing to fear, do you?" Bayard immediately sheathed his sword and held out his hand for the goblet, but Uther suddenly shook his head.
"No." Everyone looked at him in shock. "If this does prove to be poisoned, I want the pleasure of killing you myself." He growled, and Bayard scoffed, his hand falling back at his side. Uther then turned around and faced Merlin. "He'll drink it." I covered my mouth with my hands, to suppress the gasp that was threatening to escape my lips.
"But if it is poisoned he'll die!" Arthur exclaimed in disbelief.
"Then we'll know he was telling the truth." Uther replied calmly.
"And what if he lives?" Bayard asked as my brother took the goblet out of Uther's hand.
"Then you have my apologies, and you can do with him as you will." Uther answered.
"Uther please, he's just a boy, he doesn't know what he's saying!" Gaius exclaimed, and Uther turned to look at him.
"Then you should've schooled him better." Uther stated simply.
"Merlin apologize!" Arthur ordered urgently and then faced Uther. "This is a mistake! I'll drink it!" He exclaimed reaching for the goblet, but Merlin pushed his hand away.
"No no no, no, no! It-It's alright." He stated and looked at Bayard first, and then turned his gaze to us. He then lifted the goblet to his lips. Gwen and I both walked up to stand next to Morgana with worry plastered on all of our faces. Merlin then started to drink from the goblet. Once he finished he looked down for a second before looking back at us. We all watched (excluding Uther) with worry and concern, while he turned around to look at Bayard, before turning back to us. "It's fine." He announced, and I breathed a sigh of relief with tears in my eyes.
"He's all yours." Uther said simply, sitting back down along with Morgana. I heard Gwen breath a sigh of relief, but was cut off by Merlin suddenly gasping and choking for his breath. We all looked at him with shock and worry. He coughed, and then fell to the ground, unconscious. Arthur, Gaius, Gwen, and I immediately rushed over to him. "It's poisoned."
"GUARDS SEIZE THEM!!!"
"Merlin! Can you hear me?" Gaius asked, putting a hand on his forehead. He then turned to Arthur. "We have to get him back to my chambers." Arthur immediately picked him up and slung him over his shoulder. "Bring the goblet." He ordered. "I need to identify the poison." Gwen quickly ran out after them, whilst I grabbed the goblet from the floor, and ran after them as well.