Mother

*Annabelle's P.O.V.*

"Stop complaining." I laughed at my brother as he grabbed the bucket of water from the water pump by the entrance to the courtyard of the Citadel.
"Anna, if we continue doing all of this, we won't find time to breathe." Merlin nearly whined, making me roll my eyes as the two of us turned around, ready to head back to Gaius. However, I froze in my tracks as I saw a woman making her way towards the castle. She had dark brown hair pinned in a loose bun, and was looking around as if searching for someone. "Anna?" Merlin noticed I stopped, but I just continued to stare at the incredible familiar woman.
"Mother?" I called, and the woman turned to look at me, a smile breaking out on her face.
"Annabelle!" She exclaimed, running over to me and Merlin and immediately throwing her arms around me, giving me a tight and warm hug that only a mother can give.
"Mother?" Merlin asked in disbelief, and she pulled away from me, smiling at my brother before hugging him tightly as well. As they pulled away, I noticed the purple bruise on her cheekbone, very close to her right eye.
"What happened?" I asked, gently touching the bruise, but Mother only looked down.
"Who did this to you?" Merlin demanded, also noticing the bruise, and Mother sighed sadly.
"Kanen attacked." She said, and my eyes widened as I shared a look with Merlin. "He threatened us and intimidated Matthew into giving him our village's entire harvest. We hid some of it in order to survive, but Kanen wants everything and will come back in a few days." I looked at Merlin with determination, before looking at our Mother softly.
"You've come to ask the King for help?" I asked, and she nodded. "I'll try to get you an audience. Why don't you go with Merlin to Gaius?"
"How will you get an audience with the King, Anna?" Mother asked, and I smiled a small smile.
"I won't. But I know someone who will." I said, before quickly walking back towards the castle while Merlin and Mother walked in a slower pace.
    After about ten minutes I arrived at my destination and knocked on the door.
"Come in!" Came a voice from he other side, and I opened the door before stepping in. "Annabelle." Arthur smiled at me, and I returned it as I walked over to stand in front of where he was sitting at his desk. "Is everything alright?" He asked worriedly, most likely noticing my expression.
"My Mother arrived in Camelot." I said as I sat down in the chair Arthur gestured for me to sit in. "Our village has been attacked."
"I'm sorry to hear that." Arthur said, and I shook my head.
"Is there any way you could request an audience with the King? My Mother came to ask for help. Kanen requested Ealdor's entire harvest. If someone won't stop him, everyone in my home, people I grew up with, will starve to death." By now I had tears in my eyes, but forced myself to keep them in.
"Of course." Arthur said, before placing his hand on top of mine. "Tell your mother to come to the throne room in an hour. I will speak to my Father."
"Thank you."

*1 Hour Later, The Throne Room, Third Person's P.O.V.*

"The winters are harsh in Ealdor." Hunith said as she stood in front of the King of Camelot and his son. "And there are many children. Some of them just won't be strong enough to survive. We barely have enough food as it is, and... If Kanen takes our harvest, our children won't live to see another summer. Please, we need your help."
"Ealdor's in Cenred's kingdom." King Uther said. "Your safety is his responsibility."
"We've appealed to our king, but... He cares little for the outline regions." Hunith swallowed, looking at Uther pleadingly. "You're our only hope."
    The King was silent for a long moment as everyone looked at him in anticipation. The nobles of the Court exchanged glances, as did the Knights. Merlin and Gaius both stared at Uther, silently wondering if he will help a small village. Lady Morgana noticed Annabelle's worry, and placed her hand on her best friend's arm discreetly, while Guinevere, who was standing on Annabelle's other side, tried to give her a reassuring smile. After what seemed to Annabelle like forever, the King leaned forwards in his chair.
"I have the deepest sympathy for you." He told Hunith. "And would have this barbarian wiped off the face of the Earth."
"You'll help us?" She asked hopefully, but there was an amount of shock in her voice as well.
"I wish I could." Uther said, making Annabelle take in a deep breath, knowing that once the King made up his mind, there's no changing it. Arthur glanced at her seeing the worry in her eyes, before looking down at his father.
"Surely we can spare a few men." He said, wanting to do all he could in public to help the girl who stole his heart.
"Resources are not the problem." Uther said, leaning back in his throne.
"Then what is?" Lady Morgana asked in a hard tone, hating the fact that her best friend's home has been attacked and her guardian doesn't want to spare a few soldiers in order to help.
"Ealdor lies beyond the ridge of Essetir." The King said. "For an army of Camelot to enter it would be an act of war." Hunith stared at him pleadingly as she got down on her knees.
"I know you're a good king. A caring man. I'm begging you. Help us, please." Her voice cracked at the end and Annabelle eyes filled with tears as she realized how her friends and mother must have suffered.
"The accord we've struck with Cenred was years of making. I cannot risk hundreds of lives for the sake of one village." The King said as Arthur shifted uncomfortably, hating the fact that he couldn't help. "I'm afraid Camelot cannot help." Hunith looked down in tears, and Morgana glared at Uther as she stepped forward and took Hunith's hands in hers, helping her stand, before putting an arm around her and leading her out of the throne room. Guinevere grabbed Annabelle's hand comfortingly, seeing her friend's sadness. Merlin glanced at his sister, before staring intently at the King, hating him now more than ever. Not only has Uther persecuted people like him and his sister, but he refused to help their mother and people in their village, who were very likely to starve. Annabelle looked at Arthur, who gave her an apologetic look as he silently hoped that his father might change his mind, even though he knew deep down that he won't.