Decision

*Annabelle's P.O.V.*

My brother, our guardian and I walked in to our quarters slowly, thinking.
"Is it true?" My voice broke the silence, causing both men to look at me. "The Griffin can only be killed by magic?"
"Yes, Anna. I'm certain of it." Gaius replied grimly. "If Arthur rides out against it he'll die."
"Then he must be stopped." I immediately said with worry in my voice.
"Uther must see reason." Merlin backed me up.
"When magic is concerned our King is blind to reason." Gaius said, deep in thought. "And yet," He started, walking closer to us. "Magic is our only hope." He said, looking at me pointedly.
"You're not suggesting..." I trailed off in a quiet, disbelieving voice. He cannot possibly be telling me that I have to go against that thing! Unfortunately, he nodded. Confirming my thoughts.
"It is your destiny, Anna. As is yours, Merlin. The true purpose of your magic. Merlin, you have to protect Arthur. Anna, your magic is very strong, stronger than your brother's. Possibly stronger than anyone's. You have to do this." Gaius said in a gentle voice, making me look at him in disbelief once again.
"You saw it, Gaius." I said shakily. "I can't go up against that thing."
"But if you do not... Then Arthur will surely perish." I closed my eyes, not wanting this to be true.
"No." Merlin whispered, and started pacing. "No no no no no no this is madness. This is..." He trailed off, looking at me in worry.
"I don't have magic that powerful, Gaius. There must be another way!" I exclaimed desperately.
"This is the only way." Our guardian replied, and I felt my brother stiffen.
"Do you even care what happens to her? Oh, just do this, Annabelle. Do that, Annabelle. Go and kill the Griffin, Annabelle. I'll just sit here and warm my feet by the fire!" I looked at Merlin in shock. How could he say something like that?!
"Merlin!" Both Gaius and I exclaimed, making me and my brother turn to look at him. Gaius's face softened as he walked up a little closer to us. "Merlin." He said in a much softer voice. "You and Annabelle are the only things I care about in all this world. I would give my life for you two without a thought. But for what? I cannot save Arthur. It is not my destiny. You know."
"Merlin." I said gently, placing my hand on his shoulder, making him look at me. "I know you are worried about me. But if this is the only way to save Arthur. To save all of us. I have to do it. And I need your support and help." I said pleadingly, and he wrapped his arm around me, kissing the side of my head softly. He then turned to look at Gaius, with his arm still around me protectively.
"I'm sorry."
"I don't know what else I can say." Our guardian said softly.
"Then I'll say it for you." I said, making them both look at me. "We have two hours to find a way to kill that thing."

*10 minutes later*

"There." Gaius pointed to the spell in the book of magic. I read it silently to myself, and my eyes widened. If this is the spell that I have to chant to defeat the Griffin, we will all surely die! "You must do this for Arthur."
"I've never cast a spell or enchantment this powerful." I breathed out.
"Nothing else will kill it." Gaius said. "Here." He handed me a knife. "Try." I took the knife, and looked at it with uncertainty. I can't do this!
"You have it within you. I know you do." Merlin said comfortingly, placing his hand on my shoulder from behind me.
"Look I have to go. Gwen is still with Morgana and I have to go to her house. She will grow suspicious if I won't be there when she returns. But it will take her some time to finish, so I'll run to her house and practice in there, alright? Merlin, you can practice in here." I suggested, and they both looked at one another.
"What if she catches you?" Merlin asked worriedly. "Or someone hears you"
"I'll be careful, I promise." I said, and they both nodded reluctantly. I gave them a weak smile and then ran out, grabbing my shawl on the way.

*1 hour later*

I sighed in irritation and slammed the knife down on the small table. I've been practicing the spell for the past hour and I just can't get it right.
"Anna?" I heard Gwen's voice, and I quickly shoved the knife under her bed, just as she walked in.
"Hi, Gwen. Tired?" I asked as she slumped into the chair by the dining table.
"A little." She admitted with a small smile, making me smile and walk up to her, grabbing her cloak from her and putting it up on the rack. "Thanks." I smiled and walked over to her once again, but this time sitting next to her. I opened my mouth to say something, but just then I heard a knock on the door.