Crown Prince of Camelot

*Annabelle's P.O.V.*

"Do you solemnly swear to govern the people of this kingdom and its dominions, according to the status, customs, and laws layed down by your forbears?" King Uther asked his son as Arthur knelt in front of him. Merlin, Gwen, and I were now standing to the side in the throne room, where Arthur's becoming of age ceremony was taking place. He is now 21 years of age, but this time is different from any other birthday. The whole council has gathered, as well as all the Knights of Camelot, Gaius, and Morgana. The noblemen and women have also arrived in the castle to see this.
"I do, Sire." He swore in front of us as he looked up at Uther.
"Do you promise to exercise mercy, and justice in your deeds and judgments?" Uther asked.
"I do, Sire." Arthur said.
"And do you swear allegiance to Camelot?" The King asked as he held the royal scepter in front of Arthur with his left hand. "Now, and for as long as you shall live?" Arthur gripped the scepter with his right hand.
"I, Arthur Pendragon, do pledge life and limn to your service." Arthur said in a strong voice, and I couldn't help the small proud smile that made its way on my lips. Seems that Merlin had the same problem, as he looked at his master in pride. I glanced at Gwen, who was looking up at my brother with a small smile, and we shared a smirk, knowing that no matter how much Merlin complains, he is proud of Arthur. "And to the protection of the kingdom and its peoples." Arthur continued his vow, and to my shock, Uther also smiled proudly down at his son. Arthur then held the scepter by his own, as Uther turned to one of the servants and took the crown that lied on the pillow he was holding in both hands, walking back to stand in front of Arthur again.
"Now, being of age, and heir apparant from hence forth, you shall be Crown Prince of Camelot." King Uther said as he placed the crown on Arthur's head, before immediately joining the applause that followed. Gwen, Merlin, and I all clapped with smiles, some bigger than the others. Uther and Morgana also smiled at Arthur as he stood up and turned around to look at his people. Gaius was standing a little in the back behind Uther, and was also clapping with a proud smile, watching Arthur like his own son. Arthur smiled at everyone, before looking at me. I smiled at him happily and clapped a little louder, making his smile grow as well.
    I suddenly remembered the first time I met Arthur. I thought he was just a spoiled, arrogant prat, but he proved to be much more than that. He's not that foolish and selfish boy anymore. He is now a mature, kind and intelligent man. The memory of my birthday celebration two months ago clouded my mind, and my grin changed into a soft smile. I know how loyal Arthur is to his father, and yet he deceived the King in order to let me have a real 18th birthday. I was honored.
"So how does it feel to be servant to the crowned Prince of Camelot?" Gwen snapped me out of my thoughts by asking Merlin with a small smile, making me look at my brother, who looked at her with a loving gaze.
"Washing his royal socks will be even more of a privilege." Merlin replied, trying not to let the proud smile form on his lips. Gwen and I both chuckled as we shared a look.
"You're proud of him, really." I said with a smile as I looked at my brother. "Even though you complain about him constantly."
"I am not." Merlin said stubbornly.
"You are." Gwen said as she looked up at him with a small grin. "I can see it on your face."
"Those socks are very clean." Merlin said as he looked at me and Gwen. "Of course I'm proud of them." Gwen and I both laughed, knowing the truth. Merlin is proud of Arthur more than he will ever show to anyone.
    Our laughs and smiles were cut short as the glass of the window at the very back of the room on the opposite side of the royal stand shattered with a loud noise. Everyone's heads whipped in that direction, only to let us see that a the window shattered because a black clad knight on a black horse, who burst into the hall. He wore everything in the dark, black color, and his black shield held the crest of a silver eagle. It was impossible for me to see his face though, because it was entirely covered by his metal, scraped helmet. The people closest to the window fell down because of the impact, while people a little further away, including me, Gwen and Merlin, turned away and covered their heads so that the glass shards wouldn't cut the skin on their faces. Gwen somehow slipped and nearly fell, but I caught her by her arms.
"Are you alright?" I asked worriedly, and she nodded, regaining her balance, while Merlin walked over to the both of us and pushed us behind him protectively. Arthur, Uther, and the Knights all unsheathed their swords, and the Prince looked over at me, silently asking me if I'm alright, to which I nodded reassuringly.
"What in the devil's name?" Uther exclaimed quietly, walking forward so that he would be standing next to his son as the black horse slowly walked forward, ignoring everyone around him, even though everyone except for me, Gwen, Merlin, the Knights, Gaius, Uther, and Morgana ran away in fear and huddled in a tight group by the exit, wanting to see what was going to happen next but to also have an easy escape if things got out of hand. The knight then stopped right in front of Arthur and Uther, and took off his gauntlet before throwing it onto the floor at the King's feet. A challenge to a duel.
    Arthur looked up from the gauntlet and stared at the knight, before sheathing his sword and proceeding to pick up the gauntlet. However, one of the knights beat him to it.
"I, Sir Owain, accept your challenge." Owain said, and the knight looked at him.
"Single combat. Noon tomorrow. To the death." The knight said in an echoing and frightening voice as his horse stood on its hind legs, before turning the horse around and leaving the same way he came in.

*Late in the Evening*

    The rest of the evening was quiet, as no one dared to speak about the mysterious knight. However, I did not miss the look both Gaius and Uther had on their faces. Disbelief and shock. As if they recognized the knight but couldn't believe that it actually was him. I lifted the hem of my dress and started walking up the stairs that led to my and Merlin's room, with my brother following closely behind, but stopped in my tracks and turned around to look at Gaius, who was preparing a sleeping drought for Morgana.
"Have you ever seen this black knight before?" I asked, and Merlin also turned to look at Gaius.
"I don't believe so." Gaius replied, not looking up, which let me believe that he wasn't telling the truth.
"You didn't happen to recognize his crest?" I pressed, and Gaius finally turned to look at me and Merlin.
"Crest?" He asked, as if he wasn't knowing what I was talking about. But I know him too well. He knows something.
"Which House is it?" Merlin inquired, referring to the Houses of Knighthood.
"I'm not sure." Gaius replied. "I didn't see it that clearly."
"Yeah, but he's not someone you'd forget in a hurry, is he?" I continued as Gaius walked over to the other table to get another mixture needed to complete the drought.
"No." He answered after he glanced at us.
"So you don't think he's from around here?" Merlin asked, leaning against the wall.
"Doesn't seem likely." Gaius said as he walked back towards the pot he was preparing the potion in.
"Then what's he doing here?" I asked, and Gaius sighed before looking at me.
"Annabelle, your faith in my all-seeing knowledge is both touching and curtly misplaced. Maybe if you and Merlin finished your work you could go to bed and leave me to finish mine."
"Okay, okay." I lifted my hands up in surrender. "I'm going." I said after I realized that I was still supposed to go to Morgana, and started walking towards the door while Merlin proceeded to go to our room. "Gaius?" I blurted out, turning around to face our guardian once again.
"Annabelle." He nearly groaned as he turned to look at me.
"Do you think Owain can beat him?" I asked in a small voice, and Gaius's eyes softened.
"We'll find out soon enough." I nodded, accepting the answer, before walking out the door and heading to Morgana.
    As I opened the door to Morgana's chambers, I was welcomed with the sight of Morgana and Arthur arguing while Gwen stood off to the side.
"He shouldn't have picked up the gauntlet!" Arthur exclaimed as I walked over to stand next to Gwen.
"So put an end to it." Morgana said.
"The challenge has been taken. Now the fight cannot be stopped." Arthur said in a regretful tone. His eyes fell on me, and I gave him a small smile, trying to comfort him in some way, since I know how much he cares about each one of his Knights.
"Then fight in his place." Morgana said as if it were obvious. But I don't think she knows the Knights' Code very well. Either way, her request made me tense in worry for Arthur, even though I know he cannot fight the knight.
"I can't." Arthur hissed.
"Why not?!"
"Owain is the one who picked up the gauntlet, Morgana." I said as I stepped forward, making the two look at me. "That means Owain is the one who has to fight." Arthur looked surprised that I knew that, but nodded in agreement and turned to look at Morgana again.
"Annabelle's right." He said in a softer tone. "That's the Knights' Code. Owain knew that." He then proceeded to leave, but was stopped by Morgana's pleading voice.
"But it's a fight to the death!" Arthur stopped in his tracks, but didn't turn around. Only glanced at us.
"I know."