Excalibur

*Third Person's P.O.V.*

"Thank you, Gwen." Merlin smiled at his friend as he picked up the beautifully made sword wrapped in a red cloth, and stood up from where he was kneeling on the floor by Guinevere's bed.
"I'm glad I could help." Guinevere also smiled, feeling butterflies swirl in her stomach as Merlin looked at her with what she hoped was love in his eyes. She stood up from her place on the other side of the bed, and walked over to stand in front of him. "Merlin..." She started, but trailed off as he hesitantly took her hand in his gently.
"Gwen... There's something I've been waiting for a while now to tell you." Merlin said, taking advantage of being alone with Guinevere, which wasn't common. He was always either with Arthur, Gaius, or Annabelle, and she was always with either Morgana, or Annabelle. The two of them rarely found a chance to be alone like they were now and, though they were both incredibly nervous, they wanted to make the best of it. "I-" Unfortunately for them both, the door to Guinevere's house opened and Annabelle stepped in, but stopped abruptly at the sight of her brother and friend so close.
"Am I interrupting something?" She asked innocently, even though she started to feel slight guilt as she realized that she most probably ruined her brother's chance to confess his feelings for Gwen. Merlin looked at her with a small amount of annoyance in his eyes, but Gwen quickly smiled and shook her head.
"No, no." She lied. "Of course not."
"Alright." Annabelle said skeptically, before looking at her older brother. "Are you ready?" Merlin, although disappointed, nodded with a small smile and walked over to his sister, ready to leave.
"Goodnight, Gwen." He said warmly before stepping outside, while Annabelle shot Guinevere a small apologetic look.
"Sorry." She whispered, but Gwen only shook her head with a small smile.
"There's nothing to be sorry for. There's nothing going on between me and Merlin." And though her tone sounded convincing, Annabelle didn't miss the fact that Guinevere and Merlin were holding hands.

*10 Minutes Later*

"No matter what you say, I still am sorry for interrupting." I said for the tenth time as Merlin shook his head.
"Nothing was happening." He protested as we slowly started making our way down to the dungeons.
"I don't believe you." I said quietly, my voice changing into a whisper as we checked for the guards. Like always, there were two, but I quickly distracted them by muttering a simple spell that made one of the cells' bar doors slam shut with a loud noise, which made the guards immediately leave to check what happened. As soon as they disappeared from out line of view, Merlin and I quickly made our way down the stairs and my brother grabbed a torch off a wall before the two of us quickly and quietly walked towards the entrance to the Great Dragon's cave. We quickly walked down the stairs, and made a few familiar turns, before entering the gigantic cave.
"Annabelle." The Great Dragon, who was lying on the big stones in front of us, acknowledged. "Merlin."
"Do you know why we're here?" Merlin asked, and the Dragon leaned in a little closer.
"It may surprise you, Merlin, but my knowledge of your and your sister's lives is not universal."
"It has to do with Arthur." I said in an urgent voice. "His life is in danger. He will die, unless we can make a weapon that will kill the dead." I explained as I grabbed the very well-made sword from Merlin and threw the cloth that was wrapped around it aside.
"So what do you two come to ask of me?" The Great Dragon asked as the sword suddenly flew out of my hands and levitated in the air, right in front of his face.
"Will you burnish it?" I asked. "To save Arthur."
"The dead do not return without a reason." The Dragon informed us. "Who has he come for?"
"Uther." I said in a tight voice, knowing that the Great Dragon would love to see Uther dead.
"Then let him take his vengeance." Like I thought he would, the Dragon accepted the thought of the King's death easily. "And the wraith will die without my aid."
"But it's Arthur who's going to fight him." Merlin said. "You have to save him."
"That is your and your sister's destiny, young warlock. Not mine."
"But if Arthur fights the wraith and dies, Camelot will have no heir." I reminded. "We will have no destinies."
"A weapon forged with my assistance have great power." The Great Dragon said.
"We know that." Merlin said.
"You do not know. You can only guess." The Dragon said. "You two have not seen what I have seen. If you had, perhaps you would not ask this of me."
"What do you mean?" I asked.
"In the wrong hands this sword could do great evil." The Great Dragon informed us. "It must be wielded by Arthur and him alone. The only other person who can ever use it, is you, Annabelle." I furrowed my eyebrows, wondering why I can wield the sword, and Merlin can't.
"We understand." I nodded.
"You must do more than understand. You two must promise."
"I promise." I said.
"As do I." Merlin agreed. The Dragon then took a small step back and rose his neck higher, which made Merlin push me behind him protectively and take a few steps back. Well, more than a few. After all, the Dragon was about to blow fire on that sword, which was positioned in our direction. As the Great Dragon opened his mouth, Merlin and I both turned our heads and covered our faces with one of our arms, not wanting to get burned.
I heard a loud swoosh, as if someone tried to blow the air out of their mouths while making a lot of noise, and felt heat surround me. However, it was only an addition of a small amount of warmth to the air. It wasn't too much heat, and it wasn't hot, which surprised me and made me slowly look up. My eyes widened and I nudged Merlin, who was still covering his face, as I saw that there seemed to an invisible barrier between us and the sword. The Great Dragon blew fire on the sword, but it only reached as far as the sword. Beyond that, the flames seemed to bounce off an invisible wall, which was a safe distance from us.
I looked at the sword in amazement, seeing the golden engraving on the blade and the hilt. Seeing as the Dragon finished his job, Merlin and I stepped forward once again in order to get a better look at the now magnificent sword, which was still levitating in the air, making it look completely magical.
"Heed my words, Annabelle." The Great Dragon warned. "The sword was forged for you and Arthur. And you two alone."