03. mount weather

Chapter Song- Jungle by X The Ambassadors and Jamie N Commons

Teenagers full of excitement and apprehension milled around the Drop Ship, taking in the brand new views. 

I, myself, stood in a certain awe, taking in the new scenery.  For my entire life, I had seen only the inside of my family's quarters and the confines of the Skybox, meaning that this was a welcomed sight for me. While I knew survival wasn't guaranteed down here, neither was death. 

Breathing in the fresh air, I closed my eyes and titled my head back slightly, allowing the warm rays of sun to soak into my skin. 

As I finally opened my eyes, I noted that someone was watching me. But it wasn't just anyone...it was Octavia's brother. 

I met his eyes, and for a moment the two of us just stared at each other, neither one of us willing to be the first to break eye contact. 

Before either of us made the choice to look away, a commotion from in front of the Drop Ship grabbed everyone's attention, mine and Bellamy's undeclared staring contest being called off.

"Relax, we're just trying to find out where we are." The Chancellor's son, Wells, defended to a pale boy with dark hair. 

Bellamy was the one to address Wells. "We're on Earth, isn't that good enough for you?" 

"We need to find Mount Weather."  Wells explained taking a few steps closer to Bellamy. "You heard my father's message, that's got to be our first priority."

I found myself instantly moving toward my best friend among the threat of chaos. I had a sneaking suspicion this was not going to end well. 

"Screw your father." Octavia snapped, causing me to wince slightly. She always spoke her mind...I'll give her that. 

A shocked expression soon overcame Wells' face, prompting Octavia to continue. "What you think you're in charge here?" she sneered, nodding over to Clarke.  "You and your little princess?" 

I shifted slightly as everyone turned to look at Octavia, which subsequently caused me to fall under their stares.

"Do you think we care who's in charge?" Clarke spat  "We need to get to Mount Weather, not because the Chancellor said so but because the longer we wait, the hungrier we'll get and the harder this will be."

She was met with silence, causing her to continue on. "How long do you think we'll last without those supplies? We're looking at a 20 mile trek, Okay? So if we want to get there before dark we need to leave. Now." 

After finishing her little speech, Clarke looked around at the group of us in expectation, waiting for agreement. 

But she didn't get that. Instead, Bellamy let out a laugh from beside me, causing me to turn and look at him in confusion. What the hell was so funny?

"I got a better idea." he proposed, crossing his arms over his chest. "You two go. Find it for us. Let the privileged do the hard work for a change." 

Cheers of agreement rang off amongst the group in response to Bellamy's suggestion. Octavia grinned over at her brother, meanwhile I remained silent. 

I wasn't really sure who's side I was on here. While I'm sure Clarke was right in that we needed to get to Mount Weather in order to find our next meal, I wasn't so sure all of us needed to go. 

"You're not listening." Wells argued. "We all need to go."

The pale boy from before stepped forward, shoving Wells from behind with a smirk. "Look at this, everybody. Chancellor of Earth."